WytRaven's Robot WIP

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
108 posts
WytRaven
Indigo 100

WytRaven's Robot WIP

Post by WytRaven » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:31 pm

I figured it was about time to start a WIP thread on a project I'm working on. Those who frequent IRC have already seen some of the mesh stuff for this but no renders.

A while back in IRC masta was looking for another MoI challenge and someone posted a link to the Festo website. Festo produces pneumatic actuators for industrial robotics. The sheer level of detail in the product catalogs is brilliant and I decided then to build myself a robotics object library based on the Festo designs.

Most would have seen masta's MoI models by now, which by the way are gorgeous, but I wanted to do something different, something bigger, and set out with 3 goals:

1. All objects will be modeled using nothing but the most fundamental poly tools which ensures ultimate polygon utilization and clean meshes (helps with goal 2). No booleans will be used period as booleans always create messy meshes.
2. All objects will be UV mapped and textured accurately.
3. All objects will be rigged to facilitate easy posing once combined into completed robots.

I have now almost completed the base meshes for the first component. This component is a linear cylinder actuator. I will actually remove some features from this mesh for the final object as they will become redundant when actually used in a completed robot. The materials are preliminary at the moment and I have to hold off on completing goal 2 as 64bit blender 2.45 un der linux has an issue with the Smart Projections UV Unwrap script at present and it's pretty much a must have for objects as geometrically complex as this. I have tried regardless and if one looks closely you will see that the central cylinder is sporting a bump map for extrusion lines and the end caps have mold dimples as thats how those parts would be crafted (both unfortunately distorted by bad UVs).

Anyway here's some test renders and some screen caps of the mesh:

Almost Complete Mesh ~13500spp:

An earlier render just after finishing basic thread work on piston. Shot as a pair so I could check all details for issues:

Full mesh screen-cap (Blender):

Screen-cap close up of my piston head and nut of which I'm very proud, simple but beautiful :P (Blender):

It's taken well over a week to get to this point bearing in mind that I do work so weekdays I don't get to do more than an hour or two.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: WytRaven's Robot WIP

Post by Zom-B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:12 am

Nice stuff... but such an industrial robot consist of a lot of such small gadgets! This gona be an interesting long time Project dude :)
WytRaven wrote:3. All objects will be rigged to facilitate easy posing once combined into completed robots.
Maybe this Project could result in an Indigo community animation Project, where we provide CPU Power to render an Indigo animation you did :D
polygonmanufaktur.de

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: WytRaven's Robot WIP

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:18 am

ZomB wrote:This gona be an interesting long time Project dude :)
Yep 8)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:25 am

That said, each object I create accelerates the creation of the next as I can butcher bits and pieces of previous models. There are certain design concepts that are consistent across the catalog. I don't intend of replicating the entire catalog, just one or two pieces from each section. For instance I will be making one other linear cylinder, a small scale type, one maybe two rotary types, and so forth.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:34 am

great :D your Nitrile looks just fine, now :)

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 am

Very good work WytRaven.....
Pinko. ;)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:44 am

Hey kram did you note the "draw normals" enabled in the close up of the nut mesh? :lol: No more embarrassing threads about why my materials are rendering black for me 8)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:52 am

:lol: just be careful, that they don't get too small or too big ;)
too big normals could cause, that they already go through the surface -> you can't be sure, whether they're pointing inward or outward ;)
too small ones will give you too little difference between inward and outward to be sure :)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:09 am

mwahahahaa! :twisted:

Hacked together a custom blender build fixing the Smart Projections UV Unwrapper...screwed all sorts of other things...but fixed it! So now I can use the hacked build to do my unwrapping and the official build for everything else :)

Where there's a will there's a way...

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:17 am

you... you.... DID IT? :shock: great!!!

The latest "but I fixed it": does it mean, the Smart Projection or all the things, you broke?

Btw, you should submit the patch :)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 am

The "but I fixed it" means I fixed the Smart Projection bug....the other things are stuffed up because I just wanted to get it built so it's missing all sorts of other crap one would normally expect to be in blender :lol:

This hacked build is for a single purpose only and for that it works 8)

As for submitting the patch; they already know about it, it just hasn't been fixed in the official builds yet. I believe the problem only occurs on Ubuntu 64bit not all 64bit Linux distros so the core of the issue may very well be in Ubuntu's python package or something like that.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:33 am

By the way does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably realistic stainless steel material? I'm using the Chromium NK on the piston at the moment as I couldn't find an NK of Iron with high levels of chromium in it... I don't like the way it looks, it's to dark :( ...then again maybe it's just the environment it's being rendered in. If that were the case though I would have expected all those dark areas to be blue, reflecting the sky, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am

as long as you don't find matching data, try a blend of al and cr :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:42 am

Excellent modeling so far !
obsolete asset

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 am

That's bloody cool! I can't even begin to understand how you're getting all these sweet curves and cute bevels by using only hand-stitched polys. You're the man!!!

108 posts