Trouble w/ interior to exterior transition

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
matta911

Trouble w/ interior to exterior transition

Post by matta911 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Hello y'all,

This is my first post ever so you'll have to forgive the obligatory formalities that follow: I am so god d*mned grateful for Skindigo, Indigo and all of the corresponding developers, forums, downloads and experts that make this bad boy so fun to use. The program as well as the dedicated "experts" on these forums have given me the tools (and confidence) necessary to tackle the art of photo-realistic rendering. Seriously, awesome sauce to you all.

Okay, on to my cherry poppin' question. I've been using Skindigo for several weeks now and have grown pretty comfortable with interior renderings - how to set them up, material properties, light settings, etc. I'm by no means a black belt but my clients have been impressed and - at least for the time being - that will have to do. However, I am trying to use Indigo for several new projects that will require rendering a lot of exterior shots. Using some old projects I've attempted some test renders and the results are very bland, static and ....uggh, see for yourselves. I have attached an interior rendering (to show you I'm not lying) and an exterior rendering of the same project. On the exterior rendering I used Path Tracing but did not use an environmental map (or HDRi? whatever they're called) and didn't do much work on it aside from assigning materials. I realize that adding entourage of all sorts will help but I'm wondering what I can do about the overall blandness of these shots. Any suggestions, critiques, rants or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Attachments
PT-12hrs-12.jpg
z_Add from DiningRoom.jpg

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Re: Trouble w/ interior to exterior transition

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 am

The interior shots are decent but if they are 'bland' as you say, then are you using Reinhard or a camera preset? You've done well in creating dramatic shadows across the room. Try another light direction?

Combining two different camera functions also works quite well, it is just a case of blending the layers in GIMP.

As for the exterior, the main issues are with the texture. They are too repetitive. Increasing the size will at least reduce the feeling of tiling in the texture there. You even try making multiple files of the same texture, but with a slight variation in the colouring, to reduce the uniformity. An area that comes to mind are the beams and the decking.

Experiment with more intimate camera angles, especially considering that in the background, there is nothing there. Bring the camera in to cut that off.

Alternatively, you could use a massive light emitter rather than the sun/sky, to draw attention to a specific part of the exterior.

dcm

Post by dcm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am

improve models, materials...this is 1st step

use agfapan 400/100CD

djegoo
Indigo 100

Post by djegoo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 pm

dcm the master has talked :) listen to his wise advices.
Nothing to add to what he said. Materials are very important, and contrast too : depending on if you want a photography like (more contrasted) or eye view like (more flat style)

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 am

dcm wrote:improve models, materials...this is 1st step

use agfapan 400/100CD
Hes blunt but correct! :wink:

I think the main issues with the external shot are that some of the textures aren't the greatest and the foliage looks pretty fake. External shots live or die on the quality of the plant life and a few of those models detract from the scene.

Is this sketchup? It can be harder to find good plant models but there are some out there (although sketchup is not a fan of high poly).

Also have a play with the camera settings to get a more contrasting result, change the depth of field stuff if need be to give more impressionistic foliage in the foreground or background. Maybe alter the direction of the sunlight so its less 'flat' on the front of the house. Little things can make a more dynamic scene and sometimes its just trial and error.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 am

Also if you do use DOF it helps with background scenery that may be low poly/quality.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1