Roof Tile Material and other architectural materials

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
cee

Post by cee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:48 am

Hi all,

i am starting up to render with indigo,

can someone supply me with some cool architectural materials, like:

roof-tiles
green glass
painted wood
rock material
pool-water
etc

Gr
C

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Roof Tile Material and other architectural materials

Post by Zom-B » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:35 am

ehm.... really? Is that how it works?!
We are happy to help learning Indigo, but aren't here to do all the work for you... I'm out!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:52 am

You can find that in the material database online on the Indigo site.

You'll certainly have to adjust it to your liking. When you have more educated questions, we'll be glad to help.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 am

In fact this is exactly what Indigo could deliver by default.
Maybe we could think about some kind of content creation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

cee

Post by cee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:48 am

Ow, in the online library are only a few materials,

i prefer to put my energy in the lightment of the scene then to build materials,

and yess it is like this, look at the maxwell library, people it is about sharing, because we loose lots of time if every architect needs to make a barrel roof texture, waist of time.

probably some are "out", it's just a material! not the setting, or scene.

What a fuss, what is a render engine without goodies, probably thats the strength of maxwell render towards indigo.

cee

Post by cee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 am

by the way,
no roof material in the online library!
no decent [sea/pool] water in the library
no decent grass/ shrub material,

cee

Post by cee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am

Zeitmeister,

thanks, you got the spirit! I am following the indigo render development for many years, but there is not much progress being made in this, compared to other applications,
which delivery material packs , huge online resources etc.

indigo offers approx 200 materials online,
compared to thousands and more of maxwell / thea / vray etc.

If each registered user adds a material, we are getting somewhere, then i will add a barrel roof material too.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:30 am

I agree that the online mat DB could have more materials. However, I cannot freely share some of my materials as they include purchased textures that I am legally not at liberty to share.
That is no doubt the same case for many of the high end materials that you see in the gallery.

Then, I've noticed that whenever I feel like using something canned, I end up modifying and tuning it for my particular purpose. Once you've done that a few times, creating a new material really does not take that much time!

Of course I did all this while following the forum and listened :shock: to what the experienced users had to say. I found once I spent some time to familiarize myself wit the software and some methods I could ask more precise questions and have come to know the users of this forum as being very helpful and knowledgeable.

If you spend a little while in the online Material Database you'll find some good essential Materials.

Sodalime glass is what normal window glass is made out of (Google is your friend ;-) :
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/250

The two varieties of Clear Natural Water with and without cauch b in fact make outstanding pool water giving excellent caustics and great light scattering (dispersion) effects (the cauchy b):
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/31
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/30

Or use the dirty water:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/435

Then, as I have already mentioned many materials, like wood floors, architectural concrete, stone, rock, are based on good high resolution textures and those often cannot just be shared. If you're looking to purchase high end textures for your work, then I'd direct you to Arroway.de. That will provide you with a price point and an idea why the really good stuff is rarely free :wink:
Heck, even if the texture is free for download, that does not mean you can redistribute it. That, for example is the case with the textures from GCTextures.com.

BTW. Most of the materials in the online DB are user contributions. Just go ahead and add yours.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Headroom wrote:However, I cannot freely share some of my materials as they include purchased textures that I am legally not at liberty to share.
That is the main "issue" here, even cgtextures based materials and many others aren't allowed to be uploaded somewhere else, and without any good/interesting textures there aren't that many option to do materials...

I work with Indigo since many years and can tell that I nearly never recycle any materials, since most of my (textures) are custom fitted to the scene/object and the texture work is the main part of work here. The Indigo material setup is done in a few mouse clicks, even for "complex" materials.

Its a great benefit to learn how the material system reacts to settings and approaches, but that doesn't seem to be the aim here at all. Even with a low level skill you can adapt a lot of materials from other sources, download your favorite "brick material" from maxwell MatDB and use the maps in Indigo, so at least you could somehow use other sources and save your time...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:35 pm

maybe we can do an agreement with arroway fe, like stefan laub did.
He managed to make arroway mat setups available with demo files, everyone who owns the collection simply can replace the lowres files within the mat, but all settings remain the same ;)
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 am

Arroway would be a giant leap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:21 am

I don't believe that you would need the low res sample files from Arroway. The fact that these are so low res would likely require different settings anyway to make these useable.
However, we could use any generic, arbitrary dummy texture following the same naming convention as the original Arroway files and then be replace these with the originals.

That way we could share the carefully tuned material settings and just replace the dummy texture files with the original ones, click render and be done with it. Actually that's an idea I've had for a while.

The disadvantage of that approach is that one must rely on unmodified originals, so no photoshopping to reduce saturation, increase contrast, gamma, sharpness etc!

To the OP - listen and learn from this discussion ;-)
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 am

Headroom wrote:That way we could share the carefully tuned material settings and just replace the dummy texture files with the original ones, click render and be done with it. Actually that's an idea I've had for a while.
Sorry, but that nice concept simply doesn't work out that easy. At first the contrast of bump, exponent & blend maps differs from approach to approach. Gamma settings are different for RGB or greyscale images and strength of normal maps is also not uniform around the world.
Arroway has for sure some "general scale" they measure their textures bump etc. to, but others companies have different and general users often even change from project to project....
polygonmanufaktur.de

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 am

By the way, where could I find nice (including commercial) roofing textures? (this style : http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new-intr ... 00x800.jpg, but with more wear)

Nothing like this on arroway

Also, I strongly recommend not to look for "shingles" on google images, especially if you just had lunch. Didn't know that meaning before...

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 am

galinette wrote:By the way, where could I find nice (including commercial) roofing textures?
Check http://www.cgtextures.com/ in the Roofing area.
There are quite some Roof generators arround, maybe there are for your 3D app too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdNHIKdmrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qxTfb2GmHc
polygonmanufaktur.de

19 posts