Perforated material request :(

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pandekage

Post by Pandekage » Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 am

Hey all :) I know I should be learning how to make materials with Photoshop and all that, and I definitely will in a few weeks once the time crunch of university is over, but right now I desperately need a perforated metal texture for an architecture project in a week. Preferably a Corten (pre-rusted) metal with round holes, either tiled or procedural texture (but I don't know how to use procedural textures; somehow they crash). If someone has time on their hands and is willing to do this, I'll be grateful :) Let me know!

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

Why dont you use a rusted metal material from the MatDB and throw one of these into the blend channel?

http://www.google.de/search?q=perforate ... ih=416#p=0

And why do you use a software you dont know for such a project?
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

dakiru
Indigo 100

Re: Perforated material request :(

Post by dakiru » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 am

Hey!

I am not sure this is the exact texture you need as not sure about holes distance and diameter. Anyway, it's possible to adjust them. After looking on some reference pictures I guess it can be something like this:
corten_metal_perforated_test_scale_1.png
Scale 1/1
corten_metal_perforated_test_scale_0.5.png
Scale 0.5/0.5
Perforations are not procedural — they are made with the blend map. You can play with the size by playing with UV scale of the blend map.

In case you have some textures, which you think the resulting material can be made of, post the link :)

Google Docs link

Pandekage

Post by Pandekage » Wed May 16, 2012 11:58 am

Brilliant. Thank you so much! And think you, Dakiru, for the PM.

I just have one more question - If anyone's familiar with the Soap Skin and Bubble plugin for Sketchup (http://www.3dworldmag.com/2009/10/21/10 ... _plug_ins/) (second on that list) is it possible to put a perforated material on it? I tried, and the curved surface only renders as default material.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 am

It shouldn't be a problem. SSB produces normal SketchUp geometry. Keep trying. Maybe you did something wrong.

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 am

Pandekage wrote:Brilliant. Thank you so much! And think you, Dakiru, for the PM.
Glad it helped :)

Pandekage

Post by Pandekage » Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 am

About the SSB problem: I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I make the geometry, put on the perforated material (without changing any settings for now), and click render. Could it be the grouping (do I have to explode it)? Any other ideas? Many thanks :)

7 posts • Page 1 of 1