Some questions (EXR, IGS file and network)

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
DareDevil

Some questions (EXR, IGS file and network)

Post by DareDevil » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi,
I thank every one working on Indigo and SkIndigo for this really good job !
I'm trying to use them for light simulation in architecture. The IES light and layers are really cool for that.

But I have some questions for some option in SkIndigo :
- Is it possible to save the EXR file ? Indigo can do it, but i don't find how to do that in Sk interface.
- Can i save the IGS file with a specific name or in a specific folder to render it later or on other computer ? Actually I save the Default.igs and Default-settings.igs in a specific folder, and i restore them in the Indigo folder before use the QuickRender button after loaded the good SU scene. Any simplest way to do that ?
- Is it possible to launch the render in network master mode ? I work in a school of architecture and i can use many computers to render during the night if the network render can be run in SkIndigo.

Thanks for all ;)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi Dare!
I'm trying to write down a FAQ, and your question really made me panic!!!!!
I know the answer only to your second question (it was one of my questions when i just started :)): of course you can save your scene with a specific name! Do as follows: PLUGINS ->SkIndigo -> EXPORT SCENE AS...
DONE! :D

I don't know abything about network rendering (at all!!!!)

...and i actually don't understand your first question..maybe you can be more precise?sorry...

DareDevil

Post by DareDevil » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for this quick answer.
Pibuz wrote:of course you can save your scene with a specific name! Do as follows: PLUGINS ->SkIndigo -> EXPORT SCENE AS...
DONE! :D
I'm so... so..... :oops:
The SkIndigo interface is so nice that I have'nt think to look at the plugin menu :oops:
I don't know abything about network rendering (at all!!!!)
I tried network rendering with the C4D Cindigo and it's a cool way to render faster if you have many computers. Hope to find a simple solution to do that with SkIndigo.
...and i actually don't understand your first question..maybe you can be more precise?sorry...
I want to use Indigo for Light simulation. The tonemapped image is not a good result to measure the luminance in the scene. An HDRI image (wiki) is a good file for this kind of use. IGI file is an HDRI, but is not a standard file. Indigo can save an EXR image, a standard HDRI format, and I would have it automatically when I launch the render in SU.
In Indigo Doc, ther is a render setting to do that : <save_tonemapped_exr> and <save_untonemapped_exr>, but not in the render option in SkIndigo :(
Hope I'm more precise...

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:17 am

Hi Dare,

After you export your scene, open the IGS file using a text-editor and manually add the tags

<save_untonemapped_exr>true</save_untonemapped_exr>

Add it between the <renderer_settings> tags.

DareDevil

Post by DareDevil » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanx Whaat, it's ok.
Hope in a next update of SkIndigo, there will be a simple button to save de EXR file ;)
Last edited by DareDevil on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel the light

crojack

Post by crojack » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:08 am

also, DareDevil, do a search for Indigoresumer. With this, you can export with Skindigo, but choose not to render, than with indigoresumer,use it to go into network mode. You seem to know your stuff pretty well, so this should get you on the right path.

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:51 am

SkIndigo has it's own resume function as well if you don't have any luck looking for the indigoresumer. There are plenty of posts with regards to network rendering, give a little search and I'm sure you can find something to help.

*edit*
if i recall correctly, i think i made a post about making indigo start as master by default through skindigo.

lucascorato

Post by lucascorato » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:20 am

I also use indigoresumer to net-render a scene exported by skindigo.

My main and only problem is that I can't do this with a scene that contains specular materials. Seems to be a known bug, so I'll be anxiously wainting for the next version!

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:46 pm

can't you just write a batch file to launch your render as network master, or you could try and find out where in the indigo rubyscript you can add the -m or -wm

just an idea...

9 posts • Page 1 of 1