Two suggestions for skindigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
neo0.

Two suggestions for skindigo

Post by neo0. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Okay, please dont bite my head off here
1) The ability to define custom resolution presets. Like Adobe Illustrators swatches thing.

Everyone has different preferences for custom resolutions, and it would be nice to not have to go back in and type them in every time..

2) The option to only generate one igi file per su scene. So you're working on a scene in su, launch the renderer. Don't like something about it, go back and fix it. Save the file, come back another day, etc. Each time it only saves over that one IGI file. The point of this? Reduce space? IGIs are huge given how fast they tend to build up. Obligatorily cleaning out your IGIs seems like a waste of time.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:36 am

OK, Neo0.
I second your request about the resolution inputs: i guess you mean some sort of "resolution typing memory". It could be useful.
And could be useful to have the possibility to "lock" a ratio, so once locked i can only type in a variable number and SkIndigo automatically calculates the other one..

About your second request, i totally disagree. You know that you have the possibility NOT to save the IGI file when launching a render, do you?
So, i suggest you launch renders NOT SAVING IGIs during your initial phases, then eventually check the SAVE IGI option only for your final render.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:45 am

Problem is, you never know which render will be your final one until you start the render itself. The whole process is based on observation.

Borgleader

Re: Two suggestions for skindigo

Post by Borgleader » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am

neo0. wrote:Obligatorily cleaning out your IGIs seems like a waste of time.
Yes, it SEEMS like a waste of time, because considering it doesnt actually take much time it hardly is a waste. Honestly either dont use it, or do and delete them I mean...it's not like its such a tedious process.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Its not neccesarily tedious, but its very boring.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:56 pm

neo0. wrote:Its not neccesarily tedious, but its very boring.
Like I said earlier, it's a short "job" to do that...you cant possibly be that bored by it.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Right, but you need to do it every so often and it gets repetetive. Im just trying to find a way to remove that obligatory step.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 pm

neo0. wrote:Right, but you need to do it every so often and it gets repetetive. Im just trying to find a way to remove that obligatory step.
I do it at most every 3 weeks so i dont care much...With the rapid increase in hard drive size i dont see how that would be much of a problem.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 pm

You really think that having to select hundreds of files and delete them all isn't a drag? In any case, I think that there are better options out there..

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:05 pm

i think you need to disable the save igi option.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 am

cpfresh wrote:i think you need to disable the save igi option.
rofl yeah...if you have hundreds of files you nee to disable it once in a while i cannot believe you think it may be the right time everytime you start rendering in indigo...

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 pm

neo0. wrote:Problem is, you never know which render will be your final one until you start the render itself. The whole process is based on observation.
I can understand you perfectly, but i say that you fix major issues with the SAVE IGI option disabled, and then, when you're almost sure you're about to have everything fixed you just check the option ON again.
During the first phases of material and settings adjustment i personally strongly encourage "region rendering" and/or low resolution outputs, so rendering time is much lower than if you render a whole big image. In this initial phases is totally useless to have the SAVE IGI option enabled.
Do you understand me?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Yeah, but like I said. Even when you think you have all the options fixed, you might spot something new (renderersare very complex and as we all know, predicting the result of a change isn't exactly straight forward) or identify a new area of improvement.

The other question is, why would you need more than one igi per scene?

doublez

Post by doublez » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 pm

neo0. wrote:You really think that having to select hundreds of files and delete them all isn't a drag? In any case, I think that there are better options out there..
Is it really that hard to press ctrl+a > delete ? It only takes 2 seconds. And if theres a few you want to save just diselect those ones.

Your first request sounds good though. I don't think blendigo has that either.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:32 pm

neo0. wrote:Yeah, but like I said. Even when you think you have all the options fixed, you might spot something new (renderersare very complex and as we all know, predicting the result of a change isn't exactly straight forward) or identify a new area of improvement.

The other question is, why would you need more than one igi per scene?
I think that comes with programming issues, maybe. I don't know..
BTW i think that if you do with my method you'll have 2/3 igi files to delete, and not the hundreds you have now. :wink:

16 posts