Anyone please help me

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
LECD

Anyone please help me

Post by LECD » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi I am new to Sketchup and Indigo.

After I download the recent indigo version, I didn't see any install progress like normal software does. And in Sketchup I see 3 bottoms ( one says render with indigo, another is quick export, last one is a camera shape says render settings), is that it for the user interface?

Then how can i render a scene with some lighting? any option for add a lighting fixture or artificial light source? I just don't get it, very frustrated. I saw the artwork gallery there are so many beautiful renderings, but I couldn't even get started with this software.

Please anyone can help me with this?

Many thanks

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:42 pm

So..
I know it can be now very difficult to find out the basic tutorials on how to use SkIndigo, but i know here somewhere in the forum there are. For sure. I'll give you some basic hints here, just to get you started, but then i suggest you do an advanced search, i know you'll find what you're looking for.

So, first thing: by default skindigo exports information about sketchup sun position, in other words you'll be rendering a daylit scene by default. If you correct shadows in sketch, skindigo will export and render the new information.
The three icons you see are the user interface: the big indigo icon exports all materials and textures and renders the scene, the little one is used when you've previously set all materials and you just want to render another scene from a different point of view, basically. The camera icon triggers the camera settings (pretty intuitive, isn't it?).
For the first renders you do for practice, i suggest you go to tonemapping and you choose reinhard, so the image will never be under or over exposed. Then you may want to switch to camera, and try setting other physical parameters like shutter speed, ISO etc etc.
Ok, last thing to get you started: materials.
To start editing a skindigo material you have to double click on a sketchup material. Then a panel pops up, representing all the characteristics of skindigo's shader. Here you can apply the sketchy material a preset material (your sketchup mat will preserve the texture, but it will achieve other physical properties like reflection) or you can customize your own shader starting by choosing a list of basic shaders (DIFFUSE, PHONG, OREN NAYAR, etc etc) and then specifying all the properties you desire (IOR, EPONENT VALUE, ADDITIONAL MAPS, etc etc).
Basically, JUST TO GET YOU STARTED, phong mats represent plastics, woods, most of ceramics and so on (reflective materials: HIGHER IOR means behaviour closer to metals; EXPONENT is the reflection blurriness: 0 means complete blurriness 1.000.000 means perfectly clean reflection); diffuse mats have no reflections at all; speculars are basically dielectric materials like glass or water (hint: a dielectric shader works only if applied to an enclosed volume, not a surface).
Other properties like bump and exponent maps are also settable, you know, but i don't know which version you're using, so for now it's all.
Try experimenting now!
I hope i helped

Welcome to the forum!

2 posts • Page 1 of 1