New SketchUp 7.0

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
cpfresh

New SketchUp 7.0

Post by cpfresh » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Everybody GO GET IT!
http://sketchup.google.com/product/newin7.html

Looks like they've added some pretty cool new features. Hopefully none of them mess up SkIndigo. :X Whaat, please give us your input when you have had a chance to check over the new goods! :)

crojack

Post by crojack » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 am

yes! what a surprise :D

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

With the new skindigo version 1.1.12 I have noticed that they have made it so that you need to select bump and displacement maps from outside sources and have gotten rid of the option to use textures in sketchup. I thought that it would be a good idea to reintroduce this option in order to take advantage of some of the new texture capabilities in sketchup 7.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 pm

You can still use textures 'in' SU. But you can link them to 'external', high resolution ones (that is, if I understand this feature correctly). So there's actually no problem.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:34 am

You can ONLY use external maps, to tell the truth, Stinkie. And at the moment this feature (really useful, indeed) is a little buggy, as indigo doesn't load any external map during the igs scene loading..
I reported this, and i think Whaat is working on it to fix the problem soon..

I have to agree with Kellpossible about the idea of reintroducing the possible use of sketchup materials as additional maps for our skindigo materials: i've been setting lots of sketchy components to be rendered easily and rapidly once imported into a new sketch file, and it'd be very bothering/boring spending other time setting them differently..

I don't mean that external map linking is a bad idea, cos it's very important: i'm saying that the old option to have (some) maps loaded INSIDE sketch was handy and it doesn't deserve to be deleted. Just my 2 cents.

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm with you all the way on that Pibuz

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Especially because of the new edit option in sketchup 7

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Pibuz wrote:You can ONLY use external maps, to tell the truth, Stinkie. (...)
If I understand you correctly, this means that we, for the moment cannot combine a SketchUp color with a bumpmap, right?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 am

Stinkie wrote:
Pibuz wrote:You can ONLY use external maps, to tell the truth, Stinkie. (...)
If I understand you correctly, this means that we, for the moment cannot combine a SketchUp color with a bumpmap, right?
Set your 'abledo' to SketchUp to use the SketchUp color. Set your bump map to 'External' and load the bump map.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:21 am

..and i'd add you have to map it, if you want the bump to show up the size and position you want, as we did in previous versions with the multiple UV sets feature.
Stinkie, at the moment you can't make a sketchup mat containing the bump or exp map and tell indigo to use THAT mat as the bump map source: you can only link ext maps.

Ok, that's just what i tried Whaat. But no bump map or exponent map appeared to be taken into consideration during the rendering.. Why is this happening?

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 am

Pibuz wrote:Stinkie, at the moment you can't make a sketchup mat containing the bump or exp map and tell indigo to use THAT mat as the bump map source: you can only link ext maps.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Pibuz wrote:Ok, that's just what i tried Whaat. But no bump map or exponent map appeared to be taken into consideration during the rendering.. Why is this happening?
As have I. No dice, so far. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I'll look into this further in the morning.

Oh, Whaat? That latest SkIndigo? Good stuff. Thanks to Ono's and your hard work Indigo+SkIndigo is now a real power house.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:11 am

Stinkie wrote:Good stuff. Thanks to Ono's and your hard work Indigo+SkIndigo is now a real power house.
completely agree!!! :D :D :D
Thank you guys!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:01 pm

API access to background images?

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 pm

I hate to ask (as it makes me feel like a total dumb@ss), but can anyone post a step-by-step explanation of how to combine a SU color with a bump map in this version of SkIndigo?

I mean, how can I map the bump map if it's only referenced externally?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:44 am

how did you do it before??

You need to UV map the texture, so import the external map (or a low-res version) into SU so you can do the UV mapping, then, save the UV set.

Once you have done the UV mapping, you can purge the internal map if you want to keep your SU file size down.

17 posts