External maps possible bug?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

External maps possible bug?

Post by Pibuz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:21 am

Hi Whaat!

So, as you asked, here's a rar file with a simple scene showing the external maps linking problem i told in my wip work.

The rar includes the skp obviously, the maps used and three screeshots of the mat settings, the test render and the material preview.

NOTE: i tried putting a very high bump value to test an extreme situation, but as you can see it doesn't come out neither in the preview nor in the render... :cry:

Am I doing something wrong or is it a little bug?

Thank you so much!
No hurry as usual!

EDIT: i can't link the file directly in the site, so i go for an external online storage utility:
http://www.speedyshare.com/868578431.html

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Pibuz and Whaat,

I have tried the files above and cannot seem to get anything to show up for bump or exponent map. Checking the IGS file after export it is obvious why ... SkIndigo isn't doing anything with the tex.type 'External' from the Material Editor drop down. The paths are not added, the a-b-c values are not added ... nothing.

Also, the texture maps themselves are not copied to the TX_<dir> like usual (if this was changed for external file types, then nevermind)

Anyways, just wanted to add some input to try to help find out what is happening.

*edit*
Also, how do you go about specifying a different sketchup texture for the bump map (or exponent or displacement, etc) from within an albedo sketchup texture? Hope that makes sense. :E I was expecting a drop-down similar to when an external texture is specified -- except it would drop-down a list of materials currently in the model.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:20 am

cpfresh wrote:*edit*
Also, how do you go about specifying a different sketchup texture for the bump map (or exponent or displacement, etc) from within an albedo sketchup texture? Hope that makes sense. :E I was expecting a drop-down similar to when an external texture is specified -- except it would drop-down a list of materials currently in the model.
I completely agree with cpfresh on this point. Sometimes it is useful to have the textures right into sketchy, as it was in the older versions.

I'm glad it wasn't me who had misunderstood how to work with external maps, BTW :D
Ok, now we'll wait for this issue to be fixed. And obviously in the meanwhile we'll be looking for other bugs. We are soooooo picky, isn't it? :wink:

Thank you as always Whaat. And thanks to cpfresh to have helped here, and for having suggested the use of sketchup internal textures.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Pibuz,

Did this problem ever get resolved? Sorry...I never downloaded your files and now they have been deleted. Is it possible for you to post another sample that you can't get to work?

Thanks

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Whaat! Sure: as soon as possible! Thank you!

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:17 am

I think Pibuz is on to something. By now I've noticed there is indeed something odd going on. I was making mats yesterday, and I could not assign any reflection to them when using external bump maps. The bumps would show, but the reflections wouldn't. Quite weird.

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 am

I've also noticed the same problem when applying bump external bump maps and I couldn't get the internal sketchup texture to work at the same time, so I had to make them both external. I suppose this is just another reason why I think that having the option to use and choose internal textures is a good idea.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1