Please help me modify this file-it's the only way I'll learn

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
Amie

Please help me modify this file-it's the only way I'll learn

Post by Amie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm trying to create an emitter. Make my snowman light up like a Christmas decoration with a florescent light material. I cannot get the correct settings to do this because the snowman renders stark white. If someone would be kind as to modify my file and tell me what they did, so I wont bother you fine people so much. I really don't understand Indigo despite the tuts and readings. I am using Indigo 1.0.9 by the way, if it matters.

Thank you.
Attachments
im1221025753.png
im1221025753.png (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Untitled - Copy.zip
snowman
(57.38 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 am

Amie,

Your box faces are pointing outside, showing their backface to the camera. You have to reverse them. Only front face render properly.

You applied the "RGB-Light" preset material to your box, not to the snowman. And given the black color of the box... it will never cast a single photon.

So here's what I did :
1. reverse back faces
2. apply RGB-Light material to the white color of Snowy
3. apply a Phong material to the inside faces of the box (Phong means diffuse+specular) so that they show a bit of reflection
4. in the Render settings\Environment : "SketchUp backgroud Color" and flag "Black" (this disables the sun and ensures that the only light source is Snowy)

And here's what comes out :

Hope this helps :wink:

Amie

Post by Amie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 am

OMIGOSH!! Thank you so much....

But I dont understand why did you see a material on the box? I never applied a material to the box. The only item that had a material was the snowman's white body (fluorescent)...hmm.... strange :|

anyways---

Thank You Thank You!!...I promise that this will definitely be a kick up for me. It makes it easier for me to understand the program.

If I'm not mistaken and it already exists...There should be a section to encourage everyone to share files and check each others work. It'll help noobs like me and other folks no matter what expert level. There is always something to learn. :D

Amie

Post by Amie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 am

(Phong means diffuse+specular)

ahhh....so thats what Phong means...heehee!

funny name, lol! :shock:

eulgrand...for lighting up my holiday decoration. I invite you to my Christmas party! :D

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:38 am

Well, the Phong-shadingmodel is based on some works of Bui Tuong Phong, a Vietnamese

Amie

Post by Amie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 am

Whoops

No offense intended. Sorry

:oops:

HEY! Thats really good info there! Good read...it'll help me understand the Indigo settings! :D

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:31 am

Bùi Tường Phong, 1942–1975
I think, he can't be offended that easily anymore :P

No prob ;)

O.o he only lived for 33 years

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:54 am

Amie, thanks for the invitation !

For my personnal information, how many kilometers from Paris to your home ? :lol:

Always a pleasure to help, especially when the one you helped takes time to thank you (believe me, that's not always the case).

:wink:

8 posts • Page 1 of 1