3-D Modeling Field

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
MadZeros

3-D Modeling Field

Post by MadZeros » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing around with SketchUp/3DS MAX/AutoDesk VIZ and the like for a while, and I've recently been thinking about starting my own business providing Architectural renderings for companies. I was wondering if anyone here knows someone (or themselves is someoone) who works in this field. I just want to get an idea on the demand for these kind of services. I'm still in school (just about to get out) and I'm just curious as to the desire people have for high quality renderings. I know that Revit 2009 has a basic renderer built in, so what I would be providing would be very realistic works. Any direction you could point me in or any comments that you have would be great :) I appreciate any help you guys can give me, even if it's just educated speculation. Thanks!

SketchUp Master

Post by SketchUp Master » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I work as an Architectural Draftsperson and I can tell you that some of my more detailed renders go unwillingly to unappreciative clients.
Dont go too far on your works unless the client specifically asks for a realistic render.

Most clients are pretty happy with what SketchUp can provide on it's own.

For demand I'd say I produce three to four sets of working drawings a month and one of those jobs might require an architectural render or virtual walkthrough.

Basing your desire to go into business rendering images on those estimates I'd say you would'nt be very busy. But hey I live in a small town. It's not for me to say that if you lived in a city and worked for an archtectural firm that it wouldn't be a productive business.

Whatever way you go there will always be a need for high quality rendered images/ walkthroughs.

I hope I have made some sence..?

Good luck.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey,

The way I see the business at the moment is a) you either have to be very good at what you do or b) live in a big enough place to have more possible clients (or have an office who knows you) c) have a very low price tag for everything you do.

Archi viz is the most crowded area in the 3D industry. Almost everybody does it in our days =) So the competition is high. Doing archi viz is like making an html page. Almost everybody can do it, but only few can do it good.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1