Some 1.1.8 questions

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
crojack

Some 1.1.8 questions

Post by crojack » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:16 am

I am trying a scene with displacement and the scene keeps crashing at "Doing Subdivision Level 9"

I think this is an out of memory thing. Is there a way in Skindigo to reduce the number of subdivisions?

It's not a very big or complex scene, and it crashes even when I just choose one small area of subdivision and render selected only.

Also, is the Base emission and Emission attributes only used if you want your texture to produce light? (similar to the old diffuse transmitter) And the color picker is used to control the color of the light, or it tints the light or.....?

I've searched the forums and haven't found a good explanation of these.

Thanks guys!

Whaat
Developer

Re: Some 1.1.8 questions

Post by Whaat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 am

crojack wrote:I am trying a scene with displacement and the scene keeps crashing at "Doing Subdivision Level 9"

I think this is an out of memory thing. Is there a way in Skindigo to reduce the number of subdivisions?

It's not a very big or complex scene, and it crashes even when I just choose one small area of subdivision and render selected only.
I (temporarily) removed the number of subdivisions options from from the UI because users were not putting in a high enough number and were getting poor displacement results.

To lower the amount of subdivions, try increasing the pixel threshold value to 20.0 for starters. (minimum micro-poly pixels) OR, try rendering at a lower resolution since subdivision is view-based.
Also, is the Base emission and Emission attributes only used if you want your texture to produce light? (similar to the old diffuse transmitter) And the color picker is used to control the color of the light, or it tints the light or.....?
I believe I commented on this in the SkIndigo 1.1.8 thread. Also, check the Indigo manual which helps a bit.

I think you are confused about diffuse transmitters, though. They have nothing to do with emission.

Emission and base emission interface will probably be reworked before the next stable version.

I would like to use 'temperature' and 'power' to control the base emission value but I don't know the relation yet.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am

I'll test out the displacement when I get a chance.

As far as the emitters go, I'm definitely confused.
I saw where you wrote in the first post how to do them, I just don't understand what it would be used for in a render? Like, what would be a real world example, a semi-clear vase or something? I looked through some other threads, but I don't see any examples of people using emitter and base emitter.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1