Help with textures and making it look more photorealistic

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
recKz

Help with textures and making it look more photorealistic

Post by recKz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Guys,

I am completely new at using 3D modelling let alone 3D rendering. I am currently trying to create a 3D image for my product design coursework. The first issue I am having is trying to add the materials I've downloaded from here:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/

...onto my objects in Google Sketchup. I have tried selecting the material I originally added, pressing load and then choosing the .igm file. But this doesn't work as the material just renders as it is. If you could help me to make realistic grass it would be much appreciated.
Screen shot 2010-04-16 at 14.20.51.png
I'm having the same issue with the bark of the tree and even the Asphalt road, so if somebody could direct me to a tutorial or provide me with some instructions it would be much appreciated. Secondly, could you give me some tips or suggestions on how to make my image look more photorealistic.
Screen shot 2010-04-16 at 14.26.08.png
Thanks for your time,
Denis

Bosseye

Re: Help with textures and making it look more photorealisti

Post by Bosseye » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:17 am

Hi Denis, welcome :)

Heh, photorealism is the holy grail - to be fair I've never managed it myself, but an approximation is often good enough for what I need.

A lot of it comes down to the quality of the model and the texturing. If you have a rubbish model, then it will never look quite right, and no amount of awesome texture work will save it. So you need to start off with trees that look like trees and cars that look like cars - theres some fantastic models on the 3D warehouse for Sketchup so take a look and try some of those in your scene.

Next up is how you texture your model - you need to make the surfaces react as they do in real life, so your car needs to be shiny, your grass standing up and so on and so on.

That grass texture - I've never been able to work that one out either, it always just renders completely flat, so if anyone can shed any light on this! A good easy way to make grass:

-Pick a default Sketchup grass texture, example Juniper
-Right click the texture in your model and under the menu heading SKindigo, click edit material to open the material editor.
-You need to add a displacement map to the material (to make it stand up) so under material attributes (click the UI button if you can't see it) and displace, change it from 'none' to 'Sketchup', then enter a value of maybe 0.1.
- Render and your grass should be standing up

For your car, you want the paint to be shiny, so again, right click the texture on the model and in the material editor choose PRESETS and in there is a shiny car paint texture. Click that and now your car should render shiny.

Of course a shiny car won't look shiny without some bits and bobs to reflect in it, so perhaps a fence of some other items in the scene - dress it up a bit really.

Don't forget you need you textures at the correct scale, so right click the textures on the model and select texture, then position to scale and move them around.

The lighting is important too, so you need to fiddle with the shadows and where they fall to make a more dynamic image.

And one last thing, Reinhard tonemapping (the default for indigo) is fine for testing, but try switching to camera tonemapping as you render and try some of the settings. Better contrast always improves the image.

Heres something I did a while ago when I was trying to work out how to use the materials - not photorealistic by any means, but it gives an indication.

Good luck with it all, post your images as you go :)

2 posts • Page 1 of 1