Help creating a second light source

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
daviddi

Help creating a second light source

Post by daviddi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:48 am

Hi,
I'm a noob, but i did my homework, went thru the skindigo tutorial (thanks for making an excellent tute, Whaat!) but now I hit the brickwall.

I created one emitting light source, but i can't seem to make a 2nd. I painted the face of the 2nd source and doubleclick the face with paint bucket, but skindigo material editor won't open. I can open it with the first light source, but not the 2nd.

I can't figure out how to get that 2nd material into the skindigo material editor.

If you're interested, I attached a pic of what i've got so far.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
TV room.png
TV room.png (517.79 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

aslocum

Post by aslocum » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:05 am

open you material editor, click at the material so that the paint bucket is used(or choose the paint bucket tool yourself) then under plugins->skindigo: material editor.

but double click must work?
make sure you double click on the materials where the green dot is in my Attachment picture, not where the red X is
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (62.93 KiB) Viewed 3803 times

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am

aslocum, thanks for your quick reply! That helped alot, but i'm still a little stuck.

I got the material editor opened, and assigned the same presets i used on my first light source, but the 2nd light source is still not emitting.

i notice that when i right click on the first source, there's a "skindigo/Edit color" option, but on the second source there's no such option , (only "skindigo/quick export"). Could this be the source of all my woes? Maybe the 2nd face isn't defined correctly or something?

Thanks!

aslocum

Post by aslocum » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:15 am

1.are you sure you have painted the material on the surface/mesh? .. thats sometimes happend to me after making a material :)

2.dont have edit color option... for me there are options like:
edit Material2(RGB Light)
(using skindigo 1.1.5 and indigo 1.1.5) maybe your using 1.0.9? thats would explain the other option text.
you can download skindigo 1.1.5 here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=4359
also download indigo 1.1.5

if you dont assigned a (indigo) material to the surface there is no option (just quick export) . that brings me back to 1. :)

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 am

you just have your faces backwards.

go to monochrome mode and make sure you have the material on the front of the face and that face is pointing they way you want. if you ever right click and the edit mat. option isn't there, it's because you have it backward.

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Thank you all for your help. I finally got it going. I had a combo of things throwing me off. Maybe other noobs can learn from my mistakes. I think these points are true, please correct me if they're not:

1. Some of my faces were backwards...apparently when you create a cube in SU the faces are created facing inwards. I never could figure out how monochrome would indicate which way the faces faced.

2. I wasn't refreshing materials on the new render sometimes. Gotta be careful with the quick rendering. If you change a material and do the quick render the change won't show.

3. If there's only one light source, changing the power won't change the apparent brightness. it only changes relative to a second source.

4. 1 is not the lowest power available. I had to go to 0.5 to get a low level light i was looking for.

5. It's important to Apply Changes" to the skindigo render settings, but i'm not sure when...

A couple quick Q's if anyone would indulge me:

1. How does the monochrome style help indicate which way the face/mesh is facing?

2. When do we need to "Apply Changes" to the skindigo render settings? When we change a material? Every render?

thanx again for the help!

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm

hiya daviddi! this whole thing is like one constant learning process, especially with new features being added all the time. i think i can help with your two questions:

1A) the monochrome style can help you see which direction your geometry faces are oriented. to facilitate this go to your styles window and choose edit, then click on the second box image - there you can change your default face colors. I typically use green and red for my face colors, green for front (green is a go) and red for back (like red to stop theres some thing wrong) you can choose any two colors you like just so long as you know which color is representing which side of the face - either front or back. by default white is front, and the dull purple is back. this is important because for renders to be correct/accurate all the front faces of your geometry must face outward.

2A) you only need to hit apply settings after you have changed something in the render settings dialog. all changes made to the material editor are all saved automatically.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 am

and the power of the lights changing relative to each other has to do with the tonemapping you are using.
in Skindigo we have Reinhard or camera. If I understand it correctly,
Reinhard takes an average of all the lights in the scene and shows that,
camera will show each individual light a the power you set.

So, you won't see changes as dramatically with Reinhard, but there will be less chance of burn spots, etc.

Amie

Post by Amie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm

daviddi, I'm a huge noob...definitely a bigger noob than you.
How in the world did you get the light emitting from the TV to blast so bright??
What settings did you use?

Thanks.

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:36 am

Fog. Adding fog gets that effect, but it slows the render to molasses

Amie

Post by Amie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 am

I can see the fog, but it doesn't seem like it is the light source from the TV? Or is it?--:?:

There is very high luminosity emanating from the TV set.
What settings did you use in terms of numbers? Thanks.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1