network rendering and bat files

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

network rendering and bat files

Post by Post » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:16 am

Hey,

I have been trying to get some .bat files working on my computer with no luck. I hope that some one knows what I'm doing wrong :?

On the mater computer I have the following:
autorenderer.bat (sitting on my desktop-master computer)
C:
cd C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Plugins\indigo
start /low /max indigo.exe "\\master\new folder\untitled.igs" -n m -h master:7777

Slave1.bat (sitting on my desktop-master computer)
\\slave1\indigo_v1.1.5\indigo.exe "\\master\c:\new folder\untitled.igs" -n s -h master:7777 -haltspp 100 -t 2

I run the slave1.bat first followed by autorenderer.bat. two indigo rendering windows open on my coputer. One of the windows saids it can't open a log file on the slave1. After a about 1 minute I have a update in the one file received update from ###.###.0.106 (the ip of the master). I have used the windows task manager - performance to see if there is any work being do on slave1 and found that there is no work.

I looked over the forum topics and found no input into this (1.5 hours of trail and errour and research= could have had two images nicely rendered if I got off the chair :oops: ). Is there a way to get these bats filed working so that my lazy butt does not have to get off my nice soft chair to get the other computers to run indigo as a slave?

I look forward to you input and comments.
Thanks.
-Post-

doudou

Post by doudou » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 am

Hi,
If I understand, the two .bat files are launched on the master computer.
So you have two instances of indigo.exe launched on the master, and none on the slave.

If you want slave1.bat to be executed on a slave (from the master), you have to make a remote process execution, with a tool like psexec from sysinternals !

Post by Post » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks, I'm looking that program as I write this. Is it freeware or Fee Ware?

Does windows Xp have something like Psexec built in? Or can you use windows remote assist in this fasion?

If I can get the the other computers work as slaves I will so happy! I have two other quads to use as rendering machines but takes too much time to get them setup as slaves. The only thing that I dislike about this kickass rendering program is the time it takes to render :(

Thanks for the comment.
-Post-

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:54 am

You can use Windows remote desktop connection. (not sure if it's on all windows XP versions tho)

Also, once you start the slave processes on the slave machines, they should loop continuously and reconnect when a new render starts, so you can leave the process going.

Post by Post » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:10 am

OnoSendai
Also, once you start the slave processes on the slave machines, they should loop continuously and reconnect when a new render starts, so you can leave the process going
start /low /max indigo.exe "\\master\new folder\untitled.igs" -n s -h master:7777
Sould I leave the bolded area blank?? Will this allow for mutliple computers to render the file?

Thanks.[/b]

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:14 am

The scene file name isn't required to be entered on the command line for the client.

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:44 am

hey post. easiest thing to do is use the remote desktop tool as provided by windows. it can be found in the start menu under accessories. super simple to use. gl!

Post by Post » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm having trouble setting up the remote desktop tool on one of the machines. Does no have that option to be a host, just a user.

I have been walking to each computer tonight, to make sure that they are working. Only one of the two slaves are working. Is there an option for more than one slave or am I doing something wrong?
My bat files on the master:
C:
cd C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Plugins\indigo
start /max indigo.exe "\\powerhouse\New Folder\00_401-8-current.igs" -n wm

My bat files on the slaves:
C:
cd C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Plugins\indigo_v1.1.5
start indigo_console.exe -n s

too much to learn to little time.
Thanks.
-Post-

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

the remote desktop option is found under the properties of "my computer" -- theres a remote tab. you need to have the option checked for the computer to allow connections. otherwise your bat files look ok to me.

doudou

Post by doudou » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:38 pm

There is an error in your slave batch file: master address is missing.
Should be:

C:
cd C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Plugins\indigo_v1.1.5
start indigo_console.exe -n s -h master:7777

palawat

Post by palawat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 am

Actually, the <-h master:7777> is optional.

If I remember what Ono told us long ago correctly, slaves will automatically look for master's port and connect to that port. And that won't interfere or effect the rendering process on slave.

But then again, I always define master's port on slaves because...well...that's just what I do :wink:
Cheers,

Q9550 2.83 GHz, Geforce 9400 GT, 4 GB ram, XP 32/Vista 64

Post by Post » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 am

Yes it is optional but I have found that one of my computers requires it or it will not pick up the master but chrashes on termination of the render on the master. Where as the other computer does not need it.

I have posted the question/problem in another list:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=4258

Thanks for all the help.
:lol: -Post- :lol:

12 posts • Page 1 of 1