Preset attributes in SkIndigo

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
eulgrand

Preset attributes in SkIndigo

Post by eulgrand » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:41 am

Had a little time to spend those days, so I did that data sheet about setting the Phong material attributes with SkIndigo.

I only played with IoR and Exponent settings, Fresnel and Power set to their default values.

Thumbnails might look small but they can be zoomed in as they were not re-sampled during pdf creation.

Oh, by the way, the previews were made from the Material Preview Scene, converted from .blend to .3DS, then imported into SketchUp. There might be some discrepancies from the official Preview Scene (in the texturing area).

Hope this helps (it helped me at least :wink: )

Same for Glossy Transparent
Last edited by eulgrand on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Thank you Eulgrand! This kind of experiments are very very useful, and I'm very glad you spent your first post sharing the trials you did: i really think this is the right way to deal with an opensource mentality :D
Listen: i'm seriously thinking about writing a little manual/user guide with the basics of Indigo-SkIndigo. This kind of images can be very useful for understanding how to control the different parameters. What if you and I make some other experiments using the same technique, keeping the IOR at a constant value for each different test? It should come out a pretty interesting stuff! What do you say? :wink:

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:00 am

Thanks Pibuz for your kind comments.

I made this in order to understand how Reflection and Roughness were varying when changing the IoR and Exponent, and save time when adjusting a material.

As for your proposal, I am OK, the only limitation for me is the time I can spend on it. Some material types don't need this kind of stuff, because there's not much to be set with them (diffuse, thin glass, etc.). Let's say that the next 2 material types to be explained could be Glossy Transparent (Specular being a special case of Glossy transparent) and Metal.

I'll PM you a link to my .skp preview scene in case you are interested in it and if you don't already have one. I won't let the link here because it is not some "Indigo official content". I'll also send you the original Scribus file so you can re-arrange it according to your User Guide.
In order for all this stuff to look coherent, I'll send you the next sheets so you can compile all of them.

:wink:

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:41 am

Hey, thanks for sharing this Eulgrand! Good info.
I upload the PDF here as images, for quick consultation of the scheme ...

@ Pibuz, And a new tutorial. Yes, that would be a great idea.
Maybe this could be a collaborative thing?

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:28 am

Was just thinking about one thing : could be interesting either to see how each setting is translated in the .xml. The page setup would have to be reconsidered then, so that everything stands on one sheet.

:wink:

PS : Kwinstenbiebel, this is an ex-parrot, isn't it ? :lol:

5 posts • Page 1 of 1