How do you make a good landscape?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
SlimTrigger

How do you make a good landscape?

Post by SlimTrigger » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:16 am

I am having problems getting Grass and dirt to look good on the ground im using images I took my self but no matter how I scale the image on the surface it still looks meh no matter how I do it, is there a way to make grass look really good that i'm not aware of?

ARK

Post by ARK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:48 am

I've hade some luck using the attached tutorial for making grass. It's easy and not to heavy to render.

Good luck!
Attachments
Grass.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 277 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:52 am

A simple textured plane, probably not.... It wont look too good, no matter what you do. Closer shots show the flatness and far away shots show repetition...

Though, you can work with a typical game-trick...

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=1225

This tutorial is
a) outdated
and
b) for Blender
but if you know the options good enough, you should be able to turn it into an up to date SketchUp-tutorial, on the fly...

Randomizing might be the hardest part... And if your camera-angle looks too straight down from a higher position, you'll see all the holes. But it should work well for closer shots.

An other way is to use the new displacement-feature, but grass needs very extreme displacement and as it's displaced in normal-direction only, you wont get very nice results. - that might be better for the distance if you have a texture which isn't too repetitive...

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:38 am

there is a grass component in the skindigo component folder.

as far as making a nice landscape, practice, learning, practice, learning, practice, learning

SlimTrigger

Post by SlimTrigger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am

Hey all, I just found out how to create the grass using the blender tutorial but I dont know how to export it to get it in to my skp model and render it any help is appreciated

5 posts • Page 1 of 1