installing indigorender in sketchup plugins

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
ryk

installing indigorender in sketchup plugins

Post by ryk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:06 pm

hi, one and all!

well, i hope this Q doesnt mark me as hopelss,lol.

ok, here goes--- ive downloaded the lastest stable release of indigorenderer just today. according to the install instructions in notepad, there are 3 folders to be installed in sketchup plugin folder. thats just it--- i cant find sketchup plugin folder even after doing a search, etc.
so, is it possible that one of you more experienced types can help me get indigorenderer into sketchup in a usable form.

i have xp media version (w/ sp 2) and sketchup v6.

thanks a million to anyone who can help me out w/ my problem.

sincerely,

ryk

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Ryk,
Have you gone through following check list?:

----------------------------------------
INSTALLATION

1. Remove any previous versions of SkIndigo from your SketchUp/Plugins directory
2. After unzipping the file you downloaded, you should have a file called 'Skindigo.rb', a folder called 'SkIndigo', and another folder called 'SUpreviews'
3. Copy 'SkIndigo.rb' into your SketchUp/Plugins directory
4. Copy the 'SkIndigo' folder into your SketchUp/Plugins directory
5. Copy the 'SUpreviews' folder to your Indigo directory
6. Run SketchUp
---------------------------------------

What exactly doesn't work?
Have you downloaded both Skindigo as the latest Indigo version?
Your 'Plugins' folder probably is located:
C:\ProgramFiles\Google\Google Sketchup 6\Plugins

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:21 am

dearest kwisten

thank you tons for your (kwik) reply!

as to your letter: yes, i did all things you listed such as extract all files then try to install them in sketchup as plugin files. i had already done that per the installation instructions ( the notepad icon) that accompanied the indigo core renderer download and the skindigo download.

further, per your letter, i copied and pasted the file path you sent at the end of your letter. i copied the file path to both 'run' and 'search' dialogs and just just got error msgs for my efforts. incorect file paths, etc,etc, the usual ms lack of clarity.

tho im full of creative ideas (at least to my mind, anyway. lol) on ways to use indigorenderer maybe its not be. i mean, everyone else seems to not have had probs w/ the most basic aspect, that of getting it installed in sketchup plugins. perhaps in future downloads there will two options-- a plain old indigorenderer download and one that downloads and installs to sketchup plugins automatically. downloaders choice or for the apparent dummies as im starting to feel. lol.

anyway kwisten, ( or anyone else out there) if you can think of something else ill be watching for post replies.

again, kwisten, thanks a mil for the help.

sincerely,

ryk

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:23 am

dearest kwisten

thank you tons for your (kwik) reply!

as to your letter: yes, i did all things you listed such as extract all files then try to install them in sketchup as plugin files. i had already done that per the installation instructions ( the notepad icon) that accompanied the indigo core renderer download and the skindigo download.

further, per your letter, i copied and pasted the file path you sent at the end of your letter. i copied the file path to both 'run' and 'search' dialogs and just just got error msgs for my efforts. incorect file paths, etc,etc, the usual ms lack of clarity.

tho im full of creative ideas (at least to my mind, anyway. lol) on ways to use indigorenderer maybe its not be. i mean, everyone else seems to not have had probs w/ the most basic aspect, that of getting it installed in sketchup plugins. perhaps in future downloads there will two options-- a plain old indigorenderer download and one that downloads and installs to sketchup plugins automatically. downloaders choice or for the apparent dummies as im starting to feel. lol.

anyway kwisten, ( or anyone else out there) if you can think of something else ill be watching for post replies.

again, kwisten, thanks a mil for the help.

sincerely,

ryk

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:33 am

One question: You do have Sketchup installed , right? :shock:

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 am

hi kwisten

yes, i do have sketchup v6 installed and have no probs in using it.

oh boy, now what?? lol

ryk

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:39 am

So you can not find the path sketchup is installed?
How strange is that?

Maybe do a search for '*sketchup*' in the search box of Vista.

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 am

hi kwisten

i find sketchup in 'program files' in windows explorer but nothing resembling a plugin folder in sketchup.

as far as im aware ive got ok vision. maybe not, lol.

ryk

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 am

ryk wrote: as to your letter: yes, i did all things you listed such as extract all files then try to install them in sketchup as plugin files.
Hey...Don't install Indigo in the plugins folder.
Only the Skindigo folders and files go there.

The 'Previews' folder goes into your Indigo folder, and NOT in the Skindigo folder !

People seem to make the same mistake again and again....

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 am

hi kwisten

im aware of the dif between where the installs go-- its the sketchup plugin folder that , apparently, is not there.

i was referring to placing the indigorenerer files in sketchup plugins in a genric way. i know one file goes in the indigo folder.

thanks for sticking w/ me in this no doubt frustrating, for you, exercise in seeming futility.

ryk

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 am

hi kwisten

i see that others have replied to my post ( for which im grateful) but your replies are all that i can see.

something i can click to see the other replies as im new, this is my very first, in fact, forum post and reply session?

ryk

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:17 am

maybe you deleted it at some point?

have you ever installed any ruby scripts or anything like that?

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:29 am

hi crojack

i have indeed installed ruby scripts.

and while its always poss i did delete something accidently that would be unusual for me. generally speaking im fairly computer literate but its always poss, lol.

you have given me an idea, tho. maybe i should uninstall sketchup and re-download it. do you agree w/ that or do you think i should keep working at getting this right? i dont mind keeping plugging (lol) away at the finding sketchup plugins. i do have other things in my plugin drop down menu in sketchup.

i just hate bothering other people w/ my probs.

thanks, crojack.

ryk ps. i have xp media w/ sp2 and sketchup v6, if that helps any.

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:41 am

No Plugins folder....that's the strangest thing.
I can't imagine any of your installed rubies to be operational.
Maybe try to re-install sketchup first?

ryk

Post by ryk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:06 am

kb

i think youre right. im gonna uninstall, then reinstall sketchup v6 and take it from the top.

thanks for your patience.

ryk

22 posts