{Help} Problems Connecting to Master

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Blazedremedy

{Help} Problems Connecting to Master

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:37 am

Hey guys, I'm currently rendering a model I have created in Sketchup I started the rendering process through the command console on my master computer. I then went to my other two to start a render farm and I cant connect to it.... I think I have to somehow change my hostname but I don't know where to do that. Do you guys know?
Last edited by Blazedremedy on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 am

host name on what your indigo master server, or your pc, or what? i never mess with hostnames and never have any problems. please show your master and slave strings if you can.

SimonLarsen

Post by SimonLarsen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 am

Instead of typing hostname, just type the ip of the master.
That worked for me. ^^

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:30 am

So for my master host I do the Following
cd\
cd indigo
indigo.exe scenename.igs -n wm

and for the slaves I do the same but the last line in indigo_console scenename.igs -n s -h "Hostname"

I have tryed the name of the the computer witch is EPIC003 that doesn't work I have tried Master and that doesn't work either. I'm going to give the Ip thing a shot though... My actual igs file is in the indigo folder on the C Assuming that is correct I shouldn't be having probloms...

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:35 am

Ok, so I tryed connecting through IP and it says could not make a tcp connection with the server Error code == WSAETIMEDOUT

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 am

I think there is something I'm not doing right....

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 am

Is the network setup correctly?
I ,for instance, have trouble getting 2 Pc's (1 Vista 32 home and the other Vista 64 business) to communicate...

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 am

Yeah all 4 computers are on a network and everything is shared.

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 am

is the igs file in the wrong place on the master computer? It just needs to be in the indigo folder righ?

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:17 am

i'd suggest losing the 'Hostname' on your slave machines. just run it plain. itll find the host.

i typically run the master as:
indigo.exe -n wm

and slave as:
indigo_console.exe -n s

the master will broadcast, the slave will find it and hook up. simple simon.

i think you should only use the hostmaster name when you may be running more than one render on your network ... in which case it will be required to split your slaves among your masters and what have you.

anyways, i hope this helps. another thing to check is the firewalls on your machines. i find on an update of indigo, ill have to "re-allow" the indigo program on my network and afterwhich everything is groovy.

gl! :D

*edit*
the igs and all required textures must of course be placed on the network somewhere that is accessible to all slaves.

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:11 am

ok cp your solution worked and didn't work it worked in the sence that it is automaticly searching and loading the igs file. The problem is that it says failed to load file column 0 line 0 I notice you said in your EDIT that all textures and igs files must be accessible for the slaves. I have the IGS file on the slaves C is this the reason why this wont work?

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 am

what? you mean you copy the igs to each slave? then you probably need to copy all textures to each slave too.

Blazedremedy

Post by Blazedremedy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

ok, cool I got everything working now! Man that feels good. Anyways, thanks again fresh your a big help and to all others with positive feedback. I'm gonna make a documentation thread on all this shit, I have learned and right up a quick and easy documentation thread for others. thanks again!

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:19 am

awesome, it is no problem what-so-ever! im glad it is sorted! :)

one suggestion though for the future would be to avoid copying everything to all machines, it is really uneccessary.

here's what i do:

i start all my slave machines with just a plain old '-n s' this results in them running indefinitely -- master or no master, they continuously search.

from my sketchup workstation (aka the master machine) i use the 'export as...' option from the skindigo plugin dropdown and actually export to my network server (the network location to which all slaves have access.) all the required paths are written and there is no other work needed (you only have to do this once per new sketchy file as this path gets saved into the file [thanks whaat!] and then you can just use the usual export button from the indigo toolbar.)

**edit** one small caveat. you must of course run your workstation as a working-master. i have hard coded this into my skindigo ruby script. you will either have to do the same or else run the indigo '-n wm' manually or setup a bat file or the like. the default action from the indigo toolbar is just a regular indigo process -- not a master. ok just wanted to add that. go to it!

if you have all your slaves running already then you can make edits to your sketchy file and re-export as needed and the slaves will just keep on trucking un-interrupted.

simply awesome! im sure we all look forward to your official write-up.

cheers! :D

Post by Post » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Hey, cpfresh
you must of course run your workstation as a working-master. i have hard coded this into my skindigo ruby script. you will either have to do the same or else run the indigo '-n wm' manually or setup a bat file or the like. the default action from the indigo toolbar is just a regular indigo process -- not a master. ok just wanted to add that. go to it!
How do you hard coded the skindigo rb to render as a master all the time?
How hard is it to add the option to the settings for sk to export and render as a master? i think that would be very useful for the people that have multi-computers at hand.

thanks

27 posts