Making objects glow (neon sign?)

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
neo0.

Making objects glow (neon sign?)

Post by neo0. » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Is this possible under Skindigo?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Sure it is! You just have to assign a RGB emitter material to you neonlight sketchup material!

Let's say, you want a red neon. In sketch you model a cylinder, then you make a sketchup material. This material should be red (call it red neon, for you to remember easily it'll be an emitter). Then double click on it to call SkIndigo material editor, and give it a RGB light preset. DONE! :D

Probably, you'll have to calibrate the light power and efficacy according to the light situation (if you want to use the neon light in a sun lit scene, you'll have to pump really up both the parameters, for instance...). If you render a night scene, instead, using the black background option, your light will be fine with regular power too.

Make some tries!

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri May 30, 2008 7:43 pm

If your feeling really fancy, you could try wrapping the emitter geometry in a thin bit of glass. Itd add a lot to the poly count, but if youre trying to get a very realistic look it should help a lot. Probably overkill if its not going to be in the foreground though.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks!

Im using an OBJ import script that I found and it seems to crash SU every time I import something with more than 15,000 polies. Are there any more official exporters in the works?

EDIT : I cant really get the edges of my object to glow... The object just becomes full green or full red. How would I do a bloom effect?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat May 31, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh, neo: your obj importer works fine! It's only taht sketch can't handle such a hige amount of polys, sadly...I think you will have to give up your project of importing such a mesh....

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:04 am

Well, it works if you leave it alone for a few minutes... Does Skindigo support bloom? Ive seen the effect used in some other WIPs and it looked really neat. :)

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 am

Hi neo0,
You can't set up bloom in Skindigo but you can download the Violet tonemapper (main page) which can load your .igi outputfile (the .igi file gets autosaved for each render you start).
With the Viloet app both bloom as glare can be assigned.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1