Nice interview, Whaat!

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
crojack

Nice interview, Whaat!

Post by crojack » Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 am

in the current CatchUp

I actually always thought you were either an architect with great programming skills, or involved in CG in some way. Anyways, congrats on the interview and thanks again for your time. (I had no idea you had two little kids, I know how much time that takes, I have two myself!)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Thanks crojack! Here is the link to the CatchUp newsletter. There's some really good stuff in there (besides my interview and photo :lol: )

http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf ... /2008/may/

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

And you should be proud of SkIndigo, too. Waaaaay better than the plugin that comes with YouKnowWhatWell. :twisted:

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Thu May 15, 2008 1:29 am

Stinkie wrote:And you should be proud of SkIndigo, too. Waaaaay better than the plugin that comes with YouKnowWhatWell. :twisted:
Very much true :)
Skindigo is TOP!

BTW @Whaat: now you got the attention you deserve, any luck of you developing an advanced texturing/UV tool for Sketchup in the near future?

Regards,
Kwistenbiebel

crojack

Post by crojack » Thu May 15, 2008 3:14 am

Sheesh Kwisten, :roll: give the guy a break, he's got all these interviews to do now. :lol:

no, seriously, that would be awesome. :)

there is also news in there about the joint push/pull and offset on surface plugins, I hadn't seen those before. They work great, check them out!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu May 15, 2008 6:57 am

kwistenbiebel wrote: BTW @Whaat: now you got the attention you deserve, any luck of you developing an advanced texturing/UV tool for Sketchup in the near future?
I have thought about this but it is not really on my radar. I have two new plugins in the works right now. One is the polyreducer and the other is still a secret. They are both just in the 'proof of concept' stage and may not get released for quite awhile.

I also have to allow some time to maintain SkIndigo. It looks like some nice new features will be added to Indigo soon!

Cheers,
Whaat

ribo

Post by ribo » Thu May 15, 2008 7:18 am

Whaat, congratulations!!!

IMHO you are the best since @Last years in SketchUp world :D :D :D

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 am

Whaat wrote: I also have to allow some time to maintain SkIndigo. It looks like some nice new features will be added to Indigo soon!
Whaat
I am glad you keep on working on Skindigo as well. And new features? Cool :) (subdivision and MPdisplacement yeah !!!!). Maybe later on multilight and Sky-sun seperation and we are in business . :)

The polyreducer is a nice concept. My only concern would be 'holding the textures'. The cases I would need that tool the most would be to cut down file size when importing for instance Evermotion high poly trees, people or furniture.
In my experience, Deep Exploration (company called Right Hemisphere) has a nice polyreducing tool. The only drawback is that textures get screwed up.

The same goes for Subsmooth. It's a wonderful tool but the texturing thing remains something difficult to control. That was the reason for the call for a UV tool.
But I understand it's not a priority for you.

Maybe I need to check out Vue as Solo (SCF and Podium board) seems to be able to do much better texturing with that software , importing it back to SU to render.

And by the way, any clue on the 'secret project'?
just me being nosey ;)
Last edited by kwistenbiebel on Fri May 16, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu May 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Oh, YES: I AGREE WITH KWISTEN ABOUT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF UV MAPPING CONTROL. But i think it's not one of Whaat's problems: i think that kind of improvement should be done in SketchUp direclty. Sadly, i don't see it happening in a short time (just supposing), cos sketch is yet seen as a cool and simple modeling application which outputs fancy sketchy images (that's actually what it aimed at start). Only THEN it became a good platform to export things to rendering programs, but it definetely can't handle well the high poly count which are granted by other 3D packages like 3dmax maya or elses.. So, many thanks and a great tribute to Whaat and his work, but some road has to be built from the sketch team first.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 am

biebel,

It may be impossible for me to 'hold the textures' for the polyreducer plugin . I did the best I could with Subsmooth to hold the textures but I couldn't get it to work. I am sure it is possible because I think other apps have this feature.

If I ever start work on a UV plugin for SketchUp, you'll be the first to know!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 am

kwistenbiebel wrote: And by the way, any clue on the 'secret project'?
just me being nosey ;)
I'll give you one hint:

It has NOTHING to do with organic modelling or rendering. :)

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 am

That narrows it down :P

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri May 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Whaat wrote:
kwistenbiebel wrote: And by the way, any clue on the 'secret project'?
just me being nosey ;)
I'll give you one hint:

It has NOTHING to do with organic modelling or rendering. :)
Object animation?!?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat May 17, 2008 9:26 am

crojack wrote: Object animation?!?
'fraid not... :) good guess! I think a proper object animation script would take the better part of a year to write....no thanks...

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sat May 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Oh a guessing game?
I'm in ! :)

A tree generator? a Sketchup humanmaker (character rigging)?
An architectural plugin (walls, windows, elevations and stuff)?
A 2D plan making plugin?

Oh I give up ....

I'm sure it is going to be 'something' useful :)

15 posts • Page 1 of 1