SkIndigo auto beveller

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

SkIndigo auto beveller

Post by Pibuz » Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 pm

I was just struggling (as always) about the fact that SketchUp-generated models have, you know, perfect angles. Recently, i've been thinking that models close to reality rarely have 90 degrees between their surfaces.
A modifier which could bevel the mesh in sketchUp would produce such heavy models that noone could handle them easily..

So, just thinking, it would be possible to contest-click a group or component and tell indigo to round-bevel all the contained edges by a value? Is this an operation which could be implemented within the exporter, or should the main engine be revisited?

I think this would really increase realism in all the SkIndigo renders..
What do you guys think?

JeZ

Post by JeZ » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 am

You can find (somewhere on the net) a ruby to make bevels, i dont remember if it is possible to do roundovers. It doesnt work very well.

It is actually one of my biggest dissapointment about SU, it is so easier with blender and "solid" CAD software.

I know it is long to do manually and way more realistic...

JeZ

Post by JeZ » Wed May 14, 2008 2:57 am

the file name is Chamfer_Along_Path.rb

I guess it only does chamfers...

Does bevel, in CG talk, means chamfer?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 am

(Hi JeZ!)
Yes, I think bevel as a kind of chamfer..

I appreciate your attempt to answer me, thank you. I know the chamfer_along_path rb, but as i said (and as you noticed) from one side the manual chamfer is a long process, and on the other side the chamfering operation leads to very heavy models, sadly..

So, i was asking if it's possible to trigger something using Indigo, or SkIndigo, jumping through the sketchup workflow...

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 am

Kerkythea has a "material bevelling thingy". I have no idea how it works though. But hey, if it's possible in KT ...

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed May 14, 2008 3:31 am

:D

JeZ

Post by JeZ » Wed May 14, 2008 4:02 am

how would that work with texture images? Do you think that KT thing is enough "intelligent" to map textures on bevels?

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Wed May 14, 2008 7:34 am

as in kerkythea, do you mean the exporter from sketchup to KT? if so, taking a look at the exporter script could give us a few clues to help get it added to our lovely exporter skindigo! im sure whaat has some ideas to share about this prospect.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed May 14, 2008 3:44 pm

AFAIK, beveling in KT has nothing to do with the exporter. It is all done by the KT engine.

There has recently been a very good beveling script released by the very talented CPhillips. Yes, it makes geometry more heavy but remember, you don't need to bevel your entire scene, just the objects closest to the camera. :)

It's a great script and will likely keep getting better.

Check it out here:
http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf ... 180&t=9406

There have been some awesome scripts released for SU lately. Another incredible script is 'Tools on Surface'.

http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf ... 180&t=9637

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi there !

Now that I read you cpfresh I remember a script someone did for Maya, wich was rounding a cube edges, but that was only a normal trick. Now imagine this kind of script used in conjunction with displacement mapping: you get some control over creasing.

Now I can't tell if these "tricked" normals can be exported or not... oh men I really needed that brain cooling !

BTW what's that KT thingy ?
obsolete asset

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed May 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Whaat wrote:AFAIK, beveling in KT has nothing to do with the exporter. It is all done by the KT engine.
True. It's done through KT's material editor.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Not quite an answer :?

Reformulating: what's the technology behind the kerkythea bevel ?

yawn, good day everyone !
obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed May 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Good morning everyone!
A very good plugin, the sketchybevel.rb, indeed! I didn't notice it! The problem is you developers are optimizing so many wonderful scripts in such little time that i can't follow you completely! I see a great script, i download, i try to use it, i learn to use it, then i check again and there are 4 new scripts! I really think some SketchUp developer should hire you...

So, as i said: great script Whaat: thank you so much for the link!
Now, speaking in theoretical language: it would be possible to bevel let's say all the SketchUp geometry internally in SkIndigo? In my opinion, there is no need to specify any parameter: just a micro bevel, so the geometry doesn't seem too perfect!

13 posts • Page 1 of 1