Setup troubleshooting, Please assist.

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Shane

Setup troubleshooting, Please assist.

Post by Shane » Thu May 01, 2008 12:03 am

Hello,

My sketchup location is "C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6"
and my OS is windows vista business.

I'll run you through what I did.

-I downloaded the files "SkIndigo_1_0_8.zip" and "indigo_v1.0.9_3.zip" from the downloads section of this website.

-I extracted the files from the "SkIndigo_1_0_8.zip" ("SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb" and the folder "SkIndigo") and placed them both directly into the "Google SketchUp 6\Plugins"

-I extracted the folder from "indigo_v1.0.9_3.zip" ("indigo_v1.0.9_3") and placed it inside "C:\Program Files\Google\"

-I found a sketchup file on the web somewhere called Skindigo_09 Getting Started which I opened(I was at this point prompted to locate the Indigo.exe file which I did) and read through it. I realise this is an out of date guide but still I got some information out of it.

The problem arises when I am Running sketchup and click "Plugins">"SkIndigo">"Render Image" when at the bottom left corner of the screen it goes through a series of things "writing planes", "writing mesh", "exporting textures" which all happens over the course of a few seconds and then it stops as if nothing happened... at this point I'm stumped.

I did a search on "my computer" for "*.igs" but nothing turned up.

what does this all mean? are indigo v1.0.9_3 and the skindigo v1.0.8 not compatible or am I just missing something entirely :?:

Thanks for any help.

-S

UPDATE:

I exported .igs files with skindigo v1.0.8 via plugins>skindigo>export scene as...
opened it with indigo v1.0.9_3 and this is what happens:
I also tried it with some of the testscenes in \indigo_v1.0.9_3\testscenes

same prompt, but I do get some different text in the lower box that you can see in the above image... any idea's?

also I read in the Skindigo "previews set - readme.txt" that I should put a previews folder into the indigo folder... what previews folder is that?

crojack

Post by crojack » Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 am

See this thread, I think this is the problem.

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=4078

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 am

you could also try opening your ruby window in sketchup to see if there are any errors output there when you select "Render Image" ... aside from that -- due to the posted link above -- you may want to consider installing indigo 1.0.8 instead. :/

gl!

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu May 01, 2008 5:49 am

Firstly thank you both very much for the quick and helpful responses.
It is much appreciated ;)

After reading these and the link crojack posted I'm guessing reverting back to indigo 1.0.8 would be the most hassle free solution :?:
Is the quality of the renders much less :?:

I had done a search for an indigo 1.0.8 download a couple of hours ago and couldn't seem to find any. Any ideas as to where I could find it :?:

My model is getting close to the stage where I'm ready to start modeling the landscaping, sort out the lights and start rendering my first proper animation so I'm anxious to test this software :) This SUpodium render is from quite a few design phases back when the model wasn't near as detailed. My target is to make a virtual tour of the house on its landscaped site.

oh yeah, anyone got any brilliant links for seamless textures :?: would be handy...

crojack

Post by crojack » Thu May 01, 2008 6:01 am

Animation? Walk-through? :shock:
I hope you have a render farm :D

1.0.8 is available under the news/announcements thread, same place as the 1.0.9. just scroll down a little.

renders will be basically the same, at least no quality difference.

spend some time scrolling through the general news section and the WIP sections, lots of good tips and usually some links etc. for textures and stuff.

when you get some renders done post them up!

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu May 01, 2008 7:40 am

Yeah I'm worried about the rendering times alright.
The workstation I'm on is pretty decent.
and I'll have two slightly dated desktops at my disposal for a while which will be helping along for the job.

I'm hoping to spit out a 2 minute animation at 16 fps(1920 frames... I just worked that out.... YIKES). the model is complex, roof tiles are each in individually, trees and landscaping done, a swimming pool, cladding done piece by piece, windows extensively modeled, etc, etc,...
the only thing I have going for me is that the resolution factor could be sacrificed slightly, I would prefer to have a 428 x 240 animation with a lower fps properly rendered than a high res sketchup animation.

You will probably have a better idea than I do in terms of rendering times so here's the spec's;

the workstation:
Windows vista business 6.0
intel core 2 duo t7700 @ 2.40Ghz(2CPUs), ~2.4Ghz
2030MB RAM
DirectX 10
Nvidia Quadro 1600M

desktop 1:
XP home edition 5.1
Intel Pentium D 2.80Ghz (2CPU's)
2048 RAM
DirectX 9.0c
Nvidia Gforce 7300 SE

desktop 2:
XP home edition 5.1
Intel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz
512MB RAM(I just noticed this, I had thought in the past that this pc had slowed down on me, I think it had 1024 ram but now its only showing 512. I'll have to check if there's no loose ram card in there)
DirectX 9.0c
Nvidia GeForce 6610 XL

how many frames do you think I will be able to render per hour(at ~428 x 240 or at ~600 x 400?
and what do you think is the lowest fps i could use without a movie like this getting choppy(this is an old clip I made when the model was less detailed and the design incomplete)
http://www.hi-tec-homes.com/strandja_ot ... allvid.wmv

*crosses fingers for a good reply*

PS: this was the rubyscript message i got after clicking "render scene", I'm guessing I'll probably go 1.0.8 anyways but thought I might post it just so its here for future reference or whatnot...

"------SkIndigo Export Run------"
"Faces 47714"
"Instances 0"
"Material Meshes 23"
"Component Meshes 0"
"Spheres 0"
" exported in 34s. "
Error: #<Errno::EACCES: Permission denied - C:\Program Files\Google\indigo_v1.0.9_3/autorender.bat>
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:679:in `initialize'
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:679:in `new'
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:679:in `create_batch_file'
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:536:in `export'
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:5936
C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SkIndigo_1_0_8.rb:5936:in `call'

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 pm

try copying your indigo 1.0.8 folder to your desktop or 'my documents'

Let me know if it works.

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu May 01, 2008 9:09 pm

aha, the man himself :)
great project, kudos ;)

not sure what you mean by that whaat, I dont have an indigo v1.0.8 yet.
I was using indigo 1.0.9_3 and skindigo 1.0.8
I'm going to download the indigo 1.0.8 in a small bit after i've gone and had my coffee and cigarette breakfast. I'll take your advice when I've downloaded it.

whats your guesses on those render times I posted previously ^^^ ?

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri May 02, 2008 3:19 am

thanks whaat, i dl'ed 1.0.8, didnt work, so i popped into my documents and it worked straight away, the rendering times are bad news for me though. you know any cheap renderfarms i could rent over the web?

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Fri May 02, 2008 3:34 am

i believe he intended you to try the indigo 1.0.93 in the my documents folder. any luck with that?

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 am

Shane wrote:thanks whaat, i dl'ed 1.0.8, didnt work, so i popped into my documents and it worked straight away, the rendering times are bad news for me though. you know any cheap renderfarms i could rent over the web?
there's a link in the general news forum I think about an online renderfarm.

as far as render times, it's hard to say. here in the sketchup forum are some animation threads and they usually say how long it took to render, what FPS, etc. might give you an idea.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri May 02, 2008 6:23 am

cpfresh wrote:i believe he intended you to try the indigo 1.0.93 in the my documents folder. any luck with that?
yeah that's what I meant.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1