Saving and Loading igm files

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
crojack

Saving and Loading igm files

Post by crojack » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 am

So, I started looking into this while following Pibuz and CPfresh's work on the custom preview, but thought I would start a new thread since it is a somewhat different matter.

This is the first time I've tried this, so I might be doing something wrong.

I created a brick material that included using the same brick as bump and as exponent. I saved this out as an igm file using the "save" button at the top of the mat.ed.

I started a new skp model, made box, and colored it red, Color_A01 to be precise.

I hit load in the Mat.Ed. and chose the brick. It changed the red to the brick in the model, but than it made the bump and the exponent both Color_A01.

has anyone else used this function? Is this correct?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:18 pm

What textures is applied to Color_A01? If it is the brick, than this sounds correct.

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:09 am

In the model, the face with the Color_A01 changes to the brick, but in the Material Editor, both the Bump and the Exponent maps change to Color_A01, and I get two little pop-ups saying that both have been changed to Color_A01.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:36 am

I am attaching an igm file.

If someone would try this it would be great. :)

start a new model, paint a color on a face, then open up the material editor with that color selected.

click Load in the material editor, and load the igm file.

When I do this, the igm is loaded, but the bump map is changed to the color that was painted on the face.

It just doesn't seem to me that it is working correctly. I know Whaat is busy with the next Skindigo, so maybe someone else can give this a try.

Thanks!!

(disclaimer: it's not a good material or anything, just something to use as a test.)
Attachments
metaltest.igm
(831 Bytes) Downloaded 209 times

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 am

doesnt work without required jpg files ...

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:48 am

hmm, I thought the igm is supposed to contain all of that.

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:19 am

nope. but i exported the standing seam image to where i saved your igm and it loaded up fine. i'd say it worked as it should. my material name was brown and it added the jpg (the standing_seam_green.jpg) for the texture and then loaded that material 'brown' in the bump map section at a value of 0.05 (which is way too high) -- so i think it worked fine.

*edit*
and i think the file type is '.pigm' for an all inclusive pack. i dont think skindigo does that yet...
Last edited by cpfresh on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 am

well, I thought that the bump should be the standing seam material?

I'm probably confused, but it seems like the you should be able to load an igm file and it has everything needed contained within it; bump/exponent/settings.

ie., a tree image would have the clip map as part of the igm file. or a wood floor would have the albedo/bump/exponent all contained and all you would need to do would be select a face and load the igm. I don't understand why the color on the face, brown for your test, would become the bump.

if this worked correctly, than we would be able to easily share materials.

also, the name of the file stays the same as the original color applied, not the material loaded, which could be confusing

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:50 am

the bump map is the standing seam material. in my test, i added the default color from the 'markers' drop down list. i chose the color brown, so that is what it was named. when i load your igm, the material brown has your texture applied to it, the standing seam green jpg. now, the material 'brown' is the same as the texture. so when you add a bump to the material, you are adding the brown material as it is what skindigo understands to be the texture image.

sharing igms should be very easy if skindigo would automatically package all required textures, but it doesnt right now. this is why pibuz introduced his material sharing skp file so that all textures could be applied in the skp file and shared that way. there is a post around here somewhere with that file.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 am

I see, so it comes down to naming. I would think it would all get renamed to standing seam green, or whatever the name of the igm file is. As it is, it is confusing that the bump gets changed to brown, which means brown has become standing seam green.....instead of having it all change to standing seam green.

I know pibuz was sharing the skp model, it's what got me testing the igm save/load feature. Sharing the skp model is a good workaround, but it would be nice to just load the igm in the model of course.

thanks cpfresh!

10 posts • Page 1 of 1