first render

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
rchapman

first render

Post by rchapman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 am

hello guys, i let indigo run a little last night and over night (total of 12 hours) and it turned out quite nice showing lots of potential since i have no clue how to use this program. i downloaded this kitchen from 3dwarehouse awhile back. and in the sketchup model it didn't have a glass in the window, so that's why indigo didn't render glass.

couple of questions:
*How do others get such realistic renders? I assume they are using something a little better than sketchup? or are there options they tweak? (see: everything in the art gallery)
*Why are some cabinet doors missing my render? and the walls and window frames didn't render either.

thanks
Attachments
render.jpg
render.jpg (186.68 KiB) Viewed 2562 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am

About the realism: Oh, there are some sketchupers around, who make really realistic renders. In your scene, the main problems are, that your house doesn't have a roof, that your focal point is set entirely wrong (or where did you set the focus to?) and that your textures are a bit oversaturate... Else, it's a good start ;)

rchapman

Post by rchapman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:57 am

yeah, i knew about the missing roof, it was a 3d warehouse model and i didn't want to spend the time of making one...it was just a test to see what it would look like, so i threw it in indigo, lol

not knowing anything about this program, can you please explain what you meant about the focal point. i just zoomed in at the view i wanted and hit the render button haha. don't know anything about focal points or setting the focus to certain places.

what did you mean by textures are oversaturated? these textures came with the model, but i would like to know what that means, so when i use my own models i don't run into the same problem.

im about to look at some tutorials tonight, cause some nomenclature for the program and in general i don't understand. like UV, normals, background colors or whatever....hopefully the tutorial will clear that up.

thanks for the feedback.

...also, why the missing cabinet doors?

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:43 pm

You need to 'reverse' faces to get the materials to render. Go to View>Face Style and enable 'Monochrome'. Reverse any blue (grey) faces visible in the scene by right clicking on them and selecting 'Reverse Faces'. Then, once you have done so, go back to where you selected 'Monochrome' face style and select 'Shaded With Textures'. Test render.

With regards to the focal problem, go to Plugins>SkIndigo>Render Settings and select 'Camera'. Check to see if you have 'Autofocus' enabled. If it isn't, enable it. If it is, then I don't know :?

Realism? Try your hand at tweaking the materials. Use the presets if necessary.

Lastly, the cabinets. This may sound daft, but the doors may be imported images rather than SU natives. I've had similar problems, as some imported images aren't supported by Indigo. Try redrawing the doors and texture them using the materials at hand.

kaleng

Post by kaleng » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:46 pm

I have similar problem also when rendering. all are in white color. have tried the reserve face but no luck. really strange.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 am

^ Did you actually re-apply the texture after reversing the face?

Strange.

kaleng

Post by kaleng » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:33 pm

@Thom
Yup i did re-apply the material. I can render the material correctly now after i tried again last night at home and it works suddenly :lol:

Really have no idea what is wrong.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1