[bugu]strange rendering problems

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
B.!!

[bugu]strange rendering problems

Post by B.!! » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 am

Hi all,

I'm an architecture student trying to learn indigo and especialy skindigo

I'm not sure if i should have posted this topic here or in the Bugs and Requests section in the General forum. But since I'm using Skindigo, I'll write here (saw some other request around here too...)

So I'm trying to render a simple scene with an unfinished concrete building.

I have noticed many problems I couldn't solve with Whaat's tutorials or looking around the forums (3)

First problem here is comparative image of two renders. The only difference between the two scenes is that in the one with the red border, I added a concrete ground. You can see inside the red border that it changes the shadow constrast inside the building folowing the concrete end line just as if the ground had a direct incidence on the shadow....

When I take the concrete ground off, the shadows inside the building act normaly...and i get a render like in the top image....

Second problemRather than setting the image dimensions by just clicking on "view" button I configured the image dimensions to be in that proportions (very wide without being high), because i didn't want to have a very high image to calculate ground an sky uselessly. But you can see that the center of the image is mutch more clear than the borders....to avoid that problem I click the "view" button and all goes well, but I am forced to calculate enormous images to crop useless sky and ground after...

Third problem When I use region rendering to avoid the "Second problem" I got another problem, the third one !

here you can see the image is ultimatly over mega sunny
I found some similar problem on the forum, it was solved by setting tonemapping on "camera" mode, but in my case, it is automaticaly set, further more, Once I have checked region rendering on, if i check "region rendering" off and put tonemapping back on "reinhard" (or even if I leave it on "camera") I still got ultra exposed renders....

thanks !

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 am

Hi B.!!
I think i can answer to your third question: when using region rendering it's not possible to have reinhard tonemapping: skindigo is automatically forced to switch to camera tonemapping. This isn't necessarily a problem, cos once you get a little used to camera parameters in relation to lighting conditions it's pretty simple to set a render.

Generally, for outdoor image in clear sunlight the camera parameters could be: ISO 100; Shutter 200/300.

I dont' know if you know the meaning of these parameters, so i'll give you a brief hint:
ISO is your virtual film sensibility: the higher the number the brighter the image.
Shutter speed controls (as it says) the spped of your virtual camera shutter. This parameters is to be considered as 1/n. So if you set 200, the shutter speed is 1/200 seconds. So, the higher the number the darker the image.

Last thing: i read that even if you manually switch back to reinhard tonemapping and also turn off region rendering, your render is still too bright. The only thing i can suggest is to make sure to click over apply changes before closing the "indigo settings" window: perhaps you clicked the correct buttons but you forgot to apply the new changes.

Let us know!

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 am

Your second problem is called "vignetting".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:22 am

About the first problem:
you may just be seeing the reflection of the ground plane in the windows.
Try changing the camera angle a bit and re-rendering.

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:54 am

Yeah your first problem is simply light bouncing back into those spots in the building. That's not a "bug".

It really sounds like you're used to a normal, biased raytracer, judging from your comments - your expectations should be different with Indigo.

B.!!

Post by B.!! » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 am

Pibuz > Thanks for the camera setup infos ! It solved my problem. For the turning back to reinhard you are right, I didn't click "apply changes" lol so embarassing :oops: ... whatever, if you have a tutorial about that kind of setup, I would be happy to get it

this one is with a 1/200s shutter speed, a little dark, I'll improve it with tests ^^

Suvakas > Yes, that's it, whatever with region rendering I can now avoid it ^^. Whatever i found a post from OnoSendai saying :

"Indigo has natural vignetting by default as a consequence of the geometry of the camera model. So it's not controllable. No other type of vignetting is simulated."

thank you for helping !

OnoSendai > I was puzzled about it so I added things in front of the glass, I added peoples and a copy of the building behind the camera. You can see its reflection in the glass, So as you said it was juste the reflection of the ground ^^. Thanks Ono !

zsouthboy > These are my first try with 3D, never touched other progs so I'm a little lost :?

B.!!

Post by B.!! » Mon May 05, 2008 3:32 am

Hello

Since I got an other dummy problem I can't solve, I thought I could find a little help here.

Here we go : I rendered a scene. Then I cut it to test the "resume a render"option in the skindigo plugin.

So it asks me IGI file, I target it and then it asks for the igs file. Puzzled, I target the default.igs file in the indigo folder.

Then 8 hours after, I can see that the image didn't progress and that an older image I rendered before is melting inside the new render.

So I think I surely made a manipulation error about IGS file but I don't know what it is.

I also want to ask about the "pack an igs file" option in indigo, Dunno what it leads to...if I can't create IGS file for each render as I do it with IGI files...

Thank you for further help !

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue May 06, 2008 3:51 am

make sure in your settings you have "Save igs" checked, and then look in the renders folder, that's where the igs file is stored along with the png.

B.!!

Post by B.!! » Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 am

I think you are calling igS what is in fact igI. I got the Save igI box checked, and i have those igI files stored with my .png. Otherwise I couldn t be able to resume my renders.

The problem I have, is that when I resume the render, indigo melts it with some other older renders I made before. So I'm asking why do I a fusion between an older render that has nothing to do with the new one I'm trying to resume.

Thanks !

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue May 06, 2008 6:36 am

yes, I got those backward,

but basically you aren't choosing the most current igs file. for me, the name of it is generally the name of the sketchup model, but when you export your model, you can change that, so I don't know what yours is. you should not be choosing default.igs though.

are you choosing render scene, or are you choosing Export model? I believe that you have to choose export model to get a separate igs file from the default, than you have one to choose when you restart the render.

B.!!

Post by B.!! » Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 am

I never exported the model, As you say It generates an igs and I can change it's name.

So I have to make an export for each model, isn't it ?

I'm gonna make some tests to see if I need to export every scene or just the model one time.

I'll give you some news about it.

Thanks for your help ! ^^

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue May 06, 2008 6:59 am

well, your exporting the model when you choose Render Scene, but by choosing export model, it creates the igs file. and you have to choose export for each scene because of the camera settings among other reasons.

B.!!

Post by B.!! » Tue May 06, 2008 7:01 am

oh oh :o:o

ok ok

Thanks for all your instant answers lol :p

13 posts • Page 1 of 1