Lights and SSS

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Stinkie
Indigo 100

Lights and SSS

Post by Stinkie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi, (Sk)Indigo folks!

I'm working on an SU/Indigo interior. I seem to have noticed that bringing down the 'power' of the emitters doesn't have much effect on their intensity (nor does bringing down the efficacy) - am I hallucinating? I'm just asking - wouldn't be the first time. :D Guess my question is: someone please tell me how to lower the lights. ;)

Also, anyone's got some clarification on using SSS?

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:21 pm

The light issue could occur if you are using the Reinhard tone mapping. I think Reinhard will balance the brightest and darkest points in your image ... if you are moving all of the lights down then everything will appear the same in the output image... anyone have a better explanation?

SSS ... haven't messed around with that much, sorry.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:29 am

Interesting. I'll turn off Reinhard and see what happens. Thanks.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 am

I found that the lights seem to balance out more as the image renders, balance not with each other but with their respective settings. I was noticing this also, especially when i set a light to a really low power, it would still show up really bright with a really big burn, but after rendering for awhile ti would "settle" down.
I'm still not completely sure what efficacy does. I understand in theory, I've read about what it is, but I don't understand what that corresponds to in Indigo.
Anyone have a simple explanation?

also, I've had really good luck with IES, those works nice and most light companies post them on their websites.

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 pm

I think Indigo could definitely benfit from having a 'multilight' feauture to control light strength while rendering.
It's a pain to see only aftr some hours of rendering that the chosen light intensity was all wrong...

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Mmm, yeah ... that'd be sweet. Actually, Multilight would be the only reason I'd ever choose Maxwell over Indigo for. (I've tried Maxwell, and I like Indigo better in every other respect - SkIndigo is way better than the Maxwell plugin for SU, at least in my opinion.)

Maybe we could bribe OnoSendai? :wink:

6 posts • Page 1 of 1