All Sketchup, All the Time

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi folks!
Here's another wip, to be completed! :D

The render time is huge, but only 'cos i let it cook the whole weekend in my office's pc: it reached something like 13000 samples per pixel.
But still here and there i see some fireflies, most of all in the area interested by the influence of the glass (also in the reflective areas, if you take a look to the road..). I realized i used a perfect white in the scene: perhaps it has something to deal with this issue?
Attachments
im1205519026.png
im1205519026.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2970 times

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 pm

for the windows and for the copper in general, i tried to create a blend material, to simulate the uneven effect of consumption, but i'm not so happy, seen the result. Still working on it.
This is the mat preview.
Attachments
copper infissi blend.png
copper infissi blend.png (91.5 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 am

Looks like a good start! Whenever I do big outdoor scenes, the fireflies never clear up at the windows. :cry:
which tracing method are you using?
also, I think if you had the sun behind the camera, so the faces would be lit, you would see the copper better, just a thought.

Is that a big image you put in the background?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:30 am

Hi crojack!
I think it's a BiDir Path Tracing (don't remember very well), but i know i've increased to 1200 the MNCR.
... :roll: ...Now that you make me think about it, perhaps you're right about the sun being behind the camera, but unfortunately the building's is oriented to the North so this image won't come out much different from this.. :?
But in the others, copper should render full-power! We'll see :D

In the background: i've put a cilindrical pano image i found on the net just to simulate an environment (to get something in the reflective materials); then i would crop it in postpro and substitute it with the correct (but not panoramic) background..

thanks for your comment!

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 am

Interesting project Pibuz.
I like the appearance of the windows and that overdimensioned clock is a cool arch detail.
Curious to see the final render of this one.

In the mean time, I'll share a render I did (the house model is from the new charette at Vizdepot) using instancing in Skindigo for the vegetation:

Cheers,
Kwistenbiebel

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 am

Pibuz:
pity about the fireflies in the last render, probably due to some kind of bug in Indigo. If you can reproduce the fireflies in a much simpler scene, then I could try and debug them.
Your render has very little contrast (due to outdoors and high albedo materials I think), perhaps try using camera tonemapping or linear instead of Reinhard.

Kwistenbiebel:
Great render!
Can you please upload some of your fantastic renders to the Indigo gallery?
thanks!

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am

both great renders!

omg, kwisten! If the repetition wasn't that obvious (those bushes with flowers and the leaves around them are *very* obvious), it would seriously look like a photo! Very well done :D

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:13 am

OnoSendai wrote: Kwistenbiebel:
Great render!
Can you please upload some of your fantastic renders to the Indigo gallery?
thanks!
i second that :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:15 am

..kwisten: you have to explain me a pair of things. :evil:
There MUST be a kind of trick you have to get your images seem SO real! What's the trick? I really want to know! Is there some peculiar mat setting? Is there a trick in the postpro phase? What the hell is it!!!!!!!
I've tried also throwing an afternoon away trying to set a mat to its best, but my results are never THIS real. You use indigo, I use Indigo; you use SU, and I use sketchup. I really want a tutorial by you. It's a must. You owe us one. Remember it. :D

Second thing: how damn can you map a leaf?

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:09 am

Hi Pibuz,

I am not sure what you mean by using tricks.
The Violet tonemapper sure helps me a lot to make the appearance of the Raw rendering better. Also, I use photoshop to level out and balance the light a bit more.

Mapping leaves is really difficult in Sketchup. You can use the 'project' texture for that (= project a texture by paint bucketing it from a surface to the object). Luckily, sketchup can hold texture uv-mappings when importing .3ds ready-made 3d vegetation models , which is a big help.

I posted a night version of this scene in the finished works section.

cheers,
Kwistenbiebel

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:10 am

waiting for kwisten skindigo tutorial (... :D ...) i attach another couple of test.
Tell me your opinions!
Attachments
im1204388284.png
This interior has been modeled by an unknown benefactor. Found the model on the warehouse looking for something with keyword BRNO
im1204388284.png (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2746 times
im1205008831.png
simple chair. Testing sss and absorption!
im1205008831.png (281.02 KiB) Viewed 2747 times

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:41 am

Wow Pibuz.....you do not need a tutorial imho.

These look fabulous :shock:

jenujacob

Post by jenujacob » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:59 am

actually some noobs like me would very much love a tut from u kwisten..
;) actually the tuts available from whaaat are quite nice!!! but a lil outdated??? mabe i am wrong.. just been a day since i started with indigo... :oops: :oops: :wink:

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:17 am

jenujacob wrote:actually some noobs like me would very much love a tut from u kwisten..
;) actually the tuts available from whaaat are quite nice!!! but a lil outdated??? mabe i am wrong.. just been a day since i started with indigo... :oops: :oops: :wink:
Only a day? You've been a member since December! :) I have started updating the tuts but I am so busy that it may be months before they get released (even though the changes are small).

Welcome to Indigo jenujacob!

jenujacob

Post by jenujacob » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 am

yea i joined since december.. i used to lurk and drool over the image gallery! ;)
but never got a chance to download and play... then i saw the new release and the new exporter.. and thought it was much time overdue to play with this!
and whaaat.. u ve done an excellent job in the exporter.. i hope u were busy finishing of that subdivion tool for SU! :P ;) :twisted:

179 posts