How to speed-up render in Sketchup

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
ninopiamonte

Post by ninopiamonte » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Sketchup users!

I know about the GPU acceleration, but looks nonsense. It renders slow, maybe for about hours to complete. Is there a thing to have it fasts as 3 minutes, like using in Blender? Please heelp ....... :idea:

Thanks..
Nino

CTZn

Re: How to speed-up render in Sketchup

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 am

Hi nino,

Rendering performances depend on many parameters, from a controlled modeling to adequate shading choices.

We can not help you if you do not communicate informations on your scene.

Indigo provides the greatest speeds in its field of application, wich is high quality in unbiasing rendering. You can not expect the same performances than with a biased renderer, nor the same results for the matter.
obsolete asset

ninopiamonte

Post by ninopiamonte » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Well, a thanks for that thing !!!!

Whenever I'm rendering just a simple, one material, it renders slow. What's about the parameters? How can I do that?, Does GPU acceleration helps? :? :(

THanks again,
Nino

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:40 am

Please post your scene so we have something to work with.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:47 am

We are asking because there are various options to choose from in order to optimize rendering performances, but these choices will depend on the scenery in the first place.

However, if you are rendering a diffuse sphere on a diffuse plane while using an environment and are finding the GPU rendering way too slow, then Indigo may not be the solution you need.

Let's schematize a bit the creation process:

a: Design. Your creative skills in their timeless home.

b: The time it takes to technically setup materials and lighting so you can pretend to a photorealistical rendering of your design.

c: The time it takes to the application to deliver the aforementioned rendering.

points a and c can happen at the same moment.
point b is when your creative skills are forced dormant. It is considered minimal with Indigo.
obsolete asset

ribo

Post by ribo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:37 am

Hi.
What about the hardware of your machine?

ninopiamonte

Post by ninopiamonte » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Well the render done great, but for a long time... :(

And also one thing. I cannot render large models in Sketchup. Does it take a few minutes to wait before the Indigo Renderer starts? :?:

Sorry for asking because I'm 14, a newbie and fund of rendering by using Sketchup.
Attachments
Diamond Scene1.png
This is the simple thing I rendered...
It has also white pixels that cannot be removed but may be removed for an hour
Just click the image to a clear view....

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 am

Indeed glass with dispersion (the "Cauchy B coefficient") makes the material complex to Indigo, it has a special way to render wich makes it slower.

I'll provide you here with generic Indigo guidelines because I have little practice wih SU personally.

Indigo has three tracing methods, you will find them exposed in the Advanced tab of the SkIndigo Render Settings, in different associations.

PT: It is the fastest method of tracing in general, also the only one used in reality if the GPU switch is ticked. It is more likely to generate single strong pixels than the other methods associations, specially when glass is used with relatively small light sources like the sun. These strong pixels can be dimmed by extending the internal render resolution, that is the Supersample Factor. Be aware that augmenting supersampling by one point will multiply the ram needed for the image by 4.

Bidirectional Path Tracing: less likely to produce single bright pixels, it is also more efficient with glass, not always but often. As I said previously the materials used in the scene and its configuration may command to use either tracing combination, best is to run quick tests in each mode.

MLT: may seem slower but may also catch complex effects better than other modes, specially with glasses. Specular/Glossy materials with dispersion and/or subsurface scattering are the slowest to render with Indigo, wich in turn will provide the most accurate renderings of these materials.

Enjoy your stay Nino !
obsolete asset

ninopiamonte

Post by ninopiamonte » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks a lot man!!!..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:03 am

As CTZn already mentioned (simple) PathTracing, GPU accelerated or not is not the best render mode for this kind of scene.

Theoretically all render modes given enough time will end up in generating the same picture. Given the conditions in a specific scene some will simply be faster than others. You have chosen a scene that is very challenging for any render engine. It will take some time to clear up but will be very accurate!

I would believe that the white pixels are simply caustics that will take some time to clear up.

3 hours is not a lot for this sort of scene assuming you are not rendering on the latest hardware.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1