Light brightness won't change

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Puck

Light brightness won't change

Post by Puck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Guys,

We purchased Indigo RT and have been using the Sketchup plugin which we want to use to render several of our products for our latest catalogue. My plan is to build a light rig which I can just drop products into to speed the process up. I don't seem to be able to change the light strength though and I have no idea why.

I'm using:
Sketchup 8 pro
Indigo RT 3.0.14
Skindigo 3.0.14

The only thing I can change lights in is the demo that has 2 bulbs in the room posted previously (by whatt about skindigo 3.0.15 I think?). If I go in the material setting I can change the efficancy and the light changes accordingly. This is the only scene I can make the lights change in though.

If I change the efficancy of the lights in my scene which is attached nothing happens and it doesn't seem to matter what I change, the light always comes out the same way.

It would be very useful if there was a tutorial on this somewhere.

Getting very desparate for help as this purchase is on my head, boss not very impressed at the moment. Can anyonen take a look at this for me and help please?

Thanks in advance,

Puck
Attachments
Sample.zip
Sketchup 8
(4.72 MiB) Downloaded 172 times

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Light brightness won't change

Post by Headroom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:42 am

I have not actually looked at your sample but I am pretty sure you are using Reinhard tone mapping.
If you change tone mapping to Camera and select a Camera response function you should start seeing changes in your light level and will be able to change exposure, f-stop etc. to match the light level in your scene.

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Puck,

I think this is due to using the Reinhard tone mapping, which unfortunately doesn't reveal how it works: it basically does auto-exposure, automatically adapting to the overall image brightness. So if you only have one light source, changing its brightness won't produce a change to the image in this mode.

The other tone mapping modes don't perform auto-exposure yet, and when we do this we'll add a single checkbox common to all modes which toggles it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and if you have any further issues please don't hesitate to contact support for a prompt reply: support@indigorenderer.com

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 am

Ah, I see Headroom got in there first! Thanks for your help mate :)

Puck

Post by Puck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh now it makes sense! Starting to play around with some test renders now but the initial results are looking a lot more promising :D

Thanks for your quick response guys.

Regards,

James

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 am

Here's the old thread with the studio setup I referred to earlier:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... p&start=15

Also, I looked at your file. Is that one of the products you imtend to render, or just something you arbitrarily chose ?

I assume the frame material is anodized aluminum. A phong material with the Al.nk for your material definition and a relatively low exponent (250 or lower) it will do a very nice job at it.

Puck

Post by Puck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the link, very helpful indeed!

The product in the file is one of our actual units we intend to render. You're right that it is anodised aluminium and your material reference is also very helpful.

Thanks again for your help and input.

Puck

7 posts • Page 1 of 1