texture resolution limit

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
wojtek-w

texture resolution limit

Post by wojtek-w » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:33 pm

working with high resolution maps i've learned (didn't notice it before) that sketchup downsizes every bigger texture to 1024px. Since SU materials textures are nested in skp file, i wonder if skindigo uses original or resized resolution?

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Re: texture resolution limit

Post by Jeff Hammond » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 am

you can link to the hi-rez file in the skindigo material editor..

for the Albedo of the texture in question, choose 'Texture' instead of 'SketchUp' then click the '...' button beside albedo.. choose 'New' and navigate to the hi-rez file..

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:58 pm

thx for Your reply.
Jeff Hammond wrote:ou can link to the hi-rez file in the skindigo material editor..
I do know that. I'd like to know if there's such a need.
In other words if sketchup stores original (full) data for skindigo to use? It's possible - skp file grows significantly when using large textures. I'm just not sure.

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 am

i just did a fairly unscientific test :D

using a 3760 x 4832 rez chart scan found here:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/phot ... so-rag.jpg

the left side of this indigo render via sketchup was linked to a high rez copy while the right side is via sketchup:
indigo.jpg
click pic for full size
to my eye, they both look the same so it seems as if indigo is using the full resolution file within the skp instead of sketchup's downsized version..

that said, i'm on a mac so things may be a bit different for you? SU on mac doesn't have the 1024 limit.. i think it's more like 2048.. regardless, this looks a lot worse within sketchup (though if i do a 2D output from sketchup, the image does clear up some)

screenshot of the sketchup window:
Screen Shot 2011-11-27 at 12.27.22 PM copy.jpg

cotty

Post by cotty » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 am

Jeff Hammond wrote: SU on mac doesn't have the 1024 limit.. i think it's more like 2048..
Is this really a platform dependent limit? I only read about the 1024 px until today...
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 am

cotty wrote:
Jeff Hammond wrote: SU on mac doesn't have the 1024 limit.. i think it's more like 2048..
Is this really a platform dependent limit? I only read about the 1024 px until today...
you know, now that i think about it, think this was changed in su8 (or was it 7?)

there's now a pref for 'use maximum texture size' which i believe will use the largest size that your graphics card can handle..

so yeah, i'm not actually too sure about this anymore.. google has always been fairly vague about what exactly these preferences mean (or at least i've never seen them straight up talking about it or mentioning it in their user guides)

cotty

Post by cotty » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Jeff Hammond wrote:...google has always been fairly vague about what exactly these preferences mean (or at least i've never seen them straight up talking about it or mentioning it in their user guides)
I only see some hints in this article, but as you wrote, it is not cleary explained what this exactly mean...
http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... er=1267395

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

My guess (you know I'm no reference regarding Google applications) is that the limit applies to uploaded buildings. This could explain both the resolution limit and the bad quality in conversion (to save G's local ressources in terms of storage space and computations with a massive, popular contribution in mind).

2cts.
obsolete asset

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm

cotty wrote:there's now a pref for 'use maximum texture size' which i believe will use the largest size that your graphics card can handle..
Yeap, that's the answer. All resolution limit thing is about the way SU displays textures. I've tested. Regrdless preferences settings (maximum resolution on/off). Skindigo uses native texture resolution.
It's a shame i had once spend some time splitting texture instead of setting preferences properly...
We learn all the time...

anyway thx for Your time.

cotty

Post by cotty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:36 pm

wojtek-w wrote:
cotty wrote:...
Thank you, but it was Jeff Hammond :wink:

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 pm

oh,
that's right. I missquoted (is there such a word :wink: ?)
sorry Jeff

11 posts • Page 1 of 1