i was able to use environment maps in the first beta that had them as materials (3.0.15?) but with the newer betas, i couldn't get them to work.. all my renders were completely black even if i maxed out the EV/gain/iso..
i tried applying the environment material to a surface in sketchup in which case, the surface would then illuminate in the render so i figured i had the dots connected somewhat properly..
tried the environment map again with the lumens set to 50,000 which was still rendering black but after maxing out all the gain settings, i started to get a hint of light in the render.. tried again with 100,000 lumen and then 500,000 lumen but still wasn't able to get usable light..
eventually switched to lux instead of lumen as the emission scale in which case, the default number of 1750 gave me usable light from the get go..
took about an hour &a half to get this figured out but i'm satisfied now
i'm not quite sure if there's something wrong with my .exr files which are causing them to emit such a low amount of light or if using the lumen scale is just the wrong way to go about it (or if i'm doing something else wrong which is probably the case
) but just posting this incase someone else is have problems getting light from an exr.