Lighting Issues

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Frutiger

Lighting Issues

Post by Frutiger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:29 am

Hello again, Skindigoers.

I seem to be having some trouble with controlling the amount of light that comes out of some fluorescent tubes. They seem to be so powerful, they're out-shining the sun. At first, I thought there was an issue with the sun, but the sun is doing just fine, he just can't keep up with these crazy lights.

I have set the Emission Scale on the material assigned to the fluorescents to be 1 Lumen (when they should be something like 1500!), but they still are ridiculously bright.

Anyone have any hints?

Whaat
Developer

Re: Lighting Issues

Post by Whaat » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 am

Frutiger wrote:Hello again, Skindigoers.

I seem to be having some trouble with controlling the amount of light that comes out of some fluorescent tubes. They seem to be so powerful, they're out-shining the sun. At first, I thought there was an issue with the sun, but the sun is doing just fine, he just can't keep up with these crazy lights.

I have set the Emission Scale on the material assigned to the fluorescents to be 1 Lumen (when they should be something like 1500!), but they still are ridiculously bright.

Anyone have any hints?
Strange...it works fine for me. Can you post a simple scene that shows the issue so I can test?

Frutiger

Post by Frutiger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 am

Whaat wrote:Strange...it works fine for me. Can you post a simple scene that shows the issue so I can test?
Yes I can!

The thing I should've mentioned is that there's many of these lights I was mentioning. My understanding of how indigo handles emitting textures is not terribly in depth.

Here's a dropbox link to the .igs file.

Frutiger

Post by Frutiger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:17 am

Might it be the geometry of the lights? I've made three tubes shaped like fluorescent blubs and then set them in their boxes in the ceiling. Is there a chance that it's just too much surface area?

Which leads to a question: how can I accurate model the power of lighting sources if the surface area of the light dramatically sways the amount of light emitted? Is there a proper surface area for different lights?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1