GPU acceleration crash

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
chocochoc

GPU acceleration crash

Post by chocochoc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Hellooo,

Well, Dunno where exactly (it's on the forum !) I red that to activate GPU acceleration you had to do it in the Indigo GUI first, then render from SKP.

But here is the problem, if I activate GPU acceleration, when I launch a render from SKP the computer totally freezes. So I can't use it at all.

Last test I made was with indigo 3.0.12 and Skindigo 3.0.14 with an I7 2600k and an ATI 6950 crossfire on windows 7.

If you know of that issue and a possible solution, please let me know :)

CTZn

Re: GPU acceleration crash

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:28 am

Indigo 3.0 releases below 3.0.14 are remembering the previous GPU switch state, but 3.0.14 reads that information into the IGS and will initialize the render accordingly.

But before everything, make sure that you have updated your video drivers to the latest. If you are using an ATI hardware, I've read that Catalyst drivers were recommended over AMD drivers.

Drivers are definitely the critical parameter concerning CUDA and OpenCL. It's not because all your 3d application are running perfectly with the current drivers that Indigo will not need features that are found only into the latest drivers, worth worth a try.
obsolete asset

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:20 am

Hey CTZn,

Thanks for the advice, now I don't crash anymore.

It still disables the gpu when launching the render. But I press stop render and then enable GPU acceleration again (for each render). It only disables it when I launch a render from Sketchup, so I guess it has something to do with the exporter.

The samples per second have doubled so I guess it's working, but one thing is still not ok, I have to chose between 3 GPUs (my 2 Graphic cards and the graphic part of my Sandybridge).

Depending on which one of those three devices I chose, the sample speed changes drastically, so I guess Indigo is not using all of the GPU devices together. Is it because Indigo can't use several GPU devices at the same time for now ?

Thanks again :)

PS : By the way the GPU memory info displayed is wrong, because each of my graphic cards has 2 GB ram, not 800 MB
Attachments
wrong.jpg
wrong.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Last edited by chocochoc on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

chocochoc wrote:Is it because Indigo can't use several GPU devices at the same time for now ?
Yes it is for now. Normally the device 0 is the most appropriate for your system, the devices list is ordered by efficiency according to lycium.

You are welcome ;)
obsolete asset

4 posts • Page 1 of 1