Matching angle and lighting

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Bosseye

Matching angle and lighting

Post by Bosseye » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Ok, I need to work up a new entrance design for this area (look at the lovely people!)

I thought it would be nice to simply render something up and then composite it into the existing scene (don't worry, I have a better photo to use than this one...), so:

Whats the best way to match the angle of the photo with the model in sketchup? What about matching the lighting etc? I've never really added in a rendered element to an existing photo so not entirely sure how to go about doing it.

Thanks chaps :)
Attachments
MM - 08.03.11 070.jpg
Boink!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Matching angle and lighting

Post by Headroom » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 am

There are some very good video tutorials online that revolve around Sketchup's Photo Matching (google it), which will enable you to do exactly that. One of Sketchup's strongest points specifically for architecture!

Can't help on the compositing, but I am sure some of the pro's on the forum here will be able to do that. I'd be very interested in learning that as well!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 am

Hey thats clever, thanks! After having a little play the easiest way seems to be to create my model to the correct dimensions (taken from the CAD data I have) and then photo match the finished model to the existing background shot. This photo doesn't render with indigo so I can just render the new entrance at the correct angle and then drop it over the top in photoshop.

As for actually making it look like its part of the existing scene, well I guess I'll have to set up the lighting as close to whats there I suppose and then a lot of post pro in photoshop! If anyone has any tips and tricks for doing this then gratefully received...

Cheers Headroom, helpful as always :D

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 am

If you use SketchUp to geo-locate the model, you can in theory match the shadows quite accurately. Of course, you would need to know the approximate day and time that the reference photo was taken.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 am

Yes thats true - I use geo locate for most of my models. Although as I didn't take the photo (if I had I would waited until the weirdos had moved on) I can't say what time of day it was taken. I'll just geo locate and play with the shadows/time of day etc to get an approximation of whats there.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1