No displacement in instanced components.

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Aflac

No displacement in instanced components.

Post by Aflac » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 am

I am using Indigo 3.0.10 and Skindigo 3.0.10 and I noticed that any textures I have with displacement enabled stop subdividing when I put them inside a component and enable instancing. Is this a bug or is there something else I need to do?

Whaat
Developer

Re: No displacement in instanced components.

Post by Whaat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am

Aflac wrote:I am using Indigo 3.0.10 and Skindigo 3.0.10 and I noticed that any textures I have with displacement enabled stop subdividing when I put them inside a component and enable instancing. Is this a bug or is there something else I need to do?
Hi, this is a bug. I'm not sure if it is a new bug in SkIndigo 3.0.10 or if it's been around for awhile. I'll put it on my high priority fix list.

snorky
Indigo 100

Post by snorky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 am

Whaat wrote:
Aflac wrote:I am using Indigo 3.0.10 and Skindigo 3.0.10 and I noticed that any textures I have with displacement enabled stop subdividing when I put them inside a component and enable instancing. Is this a bug or is there something else I need to do?
Hi, this is a bug. I'm not sure if it is a new bug in SkIndigo 3.0.10 or if it's been around for awhile. I'll put it on my high priority fix list.
I try "old" 2.4.13 (Indigo & SkIndigo)... same bug.

test:
1234.jpg
instanced objects on the right have constant displacement!

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Do you happen to be using view-dependent displacement (ie the pixel threshold more than 0)? I have gotten errors related to that when using instances in Blendigo.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

FakeShamus wrote:Do you happen to be using view-dependent displacement (ie the pixel threshold more than 0)? I have gotten errors related to that when using instances in Blendigo.
That's because view-dependent displacement means that the object is divided according to its visibility and distance from camera, so objects at different distances/angles will be subdivided differently. This creates a problem for instances because they are all using the same mesh data. View-dependent subdivision is incompatible with the basic principle behind instances. Not really a bug, just a limitation of instances as a whole.

snorky
Indigo 100

Post by snorky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:28 pm

StompinTom wrote:That's because view-dependent displacement means that the object is divided according to its visibility and distance from camera, so objects at different distances/angles will be subdivided differently. This creates a problem for instances because they are all using the same mesh data. View-dependent subdivision is incompatible with the basic principle behind instances. Not really a bug, just a limitation of instances as a whole.
yes... have sense
but
<view_dependent_subdivision>false</view_dependent_subdivision> on *-meshes.igs file don't works

i thinks view_dependent should not be a mesh's parameter (or material's) but a camera's parameter... like focus!

6 posts • Page 1 of 1