Roughness setting in Exporter

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Coen Naninck

Roughness setting in Exporter

Post by Coen Naninck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm

The Roughness setting in the SkIndigo Material Editor, does that affect smoothing or what does it do exactly?

While on the topic of smoothing, why do some smoothed models appear faceted in Indigo?
roughness.gif
Roughness setting in SkIndigo Material Editor.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Re: Roughness setting in Exporter

Post by Stinkie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Dag Coen.

The roughness setting affects the, well, roughness of materials. Er, I'm gonna do this in Dutch. Much easier. Sorry, people!

Goed. Met de 'roughness'-parameter bepaal je hoe ruw je materiaal is. Laag: scherpe reflecties (kleine highlights). Hoog: diffuse reflecties (grote higlights).

Does that make sense?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Roughness sets the more or less shininess of the material's surface.
It is a very low-accuracy parameter: I strongly suggest you switch to the "pro" UI via the UI button.
The equivalent value will be "exponent".

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Interesting. I had seen and tried the UI button, but hadn't noticed that particular difference. I thought this was more of an expand/collapse button.

@Stinkie: Yes this makes sense. I guess you could say that in a way this refers to smoothness, but inherent to the material, not the geometry it is applied to.

Thanks!

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:03 pm

[quote="Coen Naninck"@Stinkie: Yes this makes sense. I guess you could say that in a way this refers to smoothness, but inherent to the material, not the geometry it is applied to.[/quote]

Yeah. Oh, unlike Pibuz, I do find the 'simple UI' with its roughness/reflection sliders very useful. I usually start out from one of the material presets, and then tweak using the sliders. But then I don't need to emulate real-life materials.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1