Light appearing at edge of floor

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
gjengi

Light appearing at edge of floor

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 am

I seem to have a problem with light appearing at the edges of my floor planes.

I've had this problem for a while now and when it initially happened I found out that it seemed to be linked to the size of the model - e.g. the further away you were from sketchup's origin, the worse it got. It seems to be most obvious during darker views, such as indoor shots. So I did the interior shots with smaller models, and nearer to the origin to avoid any problems.

However, I started rendering something today and the problem has occurred again, but on what is a fairly reasonably sized model. The Sketchup models are modelled in a very basic way, and with no displacement applied to materials, just bumps.

Can anyone help? I've attached some images below showing the problem. Apologies for noise, I didn't have time to leave them going too long.

Thanks,

gjengi

P.s. I have Indigo Renderer v2.4.13, Windows 64-bit build, Skindigo v2.4.13 running with Sketchup 8.
Attachments
Previous01.png
Previous02.png
Recent SKP.png
Recent.png
Architect in training...
...almost done!

gjengi

Re: Light appearing at edge of floor

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:42 am

I've found a temporary fix for it, which is to put a big ground plane a few metres beneath the floor to block out the ambient light. It just seems a bit excessive, and I would've thought that the wall and floor would stop any light coming through? :?: :)
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:47 am

Odd! I suppose the obvious question which I'm sure you've double checked is that there is no actual gaps in the model? ie, your walls actually meet the floors 100%?

I can't think of any other reason for light to leak through where there are no gaps I have to say.

Can you share the model file then some of us can run it on our own systems and see if the problem is recreated?

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Bosseye wrote:Odd! I suppose the obvious question which I'm sure you've double checked is that there is no actual gaps in the model? ie, your walls actually meet the floors 100%?
Yep I've double checked it and there definitely isn't, it's just two planes joined by one line. Weird eh?
Bosseye wrote: Can you share the model file then some of us can run it on our own systems and see if the problem is recreated?
Yep, of course. How do I go about doing that? Do you need the sketchup file, or the packed indigo one?
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:29 am

Just the sketchup file should do it - compress your sketchup model file into a .zip extension (winzip or whatever you have...) when you reply to this message, just below the text box is a browse button, point it at the zip file on your PC and then click add file. Wait for the upload box to disappear and then submit your message - the file should then be available just below your posted message for anyone to download :)

I'll watch this space....

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:52 am

Bosseye wrote:Just the sketchup file should do it - compress your sketchup model file into a .zip extension (winzip or whatever you have...) when you reply to this message, just below the text box is a browse button, point it at the zip file on your PC and then click add file. Wait for the upload box to disappear and then submit your message - the file should then be available just below your posted message for anyone to download :)

I'll watch this space....
Don't suppose if you know if there is a file size limit? The file is 70mb! :)
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:59 am

Not off the top of my head I'm afraid mate. Try it, if its too big you'll get red text telling you so.

Whack it up if you can and I'm sure someone cleverer than me will be along to download it and help you out. I won't get a chance to look at this until next week now, but I'll have a look then.

Edit! And what the hells in there to make it a 70mb file! The largest and most ungainly of my sketchup model files crammed with complex cars and 3d people and large geometry is still only 50mb....from those shots you post theres nothing in there but a few textures and some lighting so perhaps something is off somewhere.....

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:08 am

Bosseye wrote:Not off the top of my head I'm afraid mate. Try it, if its too big you'll get red text telling you so.

Whack it up if you can and I'm sure someone cleverer than me will be along to download it and help you out. I won't get a chance to look at this until next week now, but I'll have a look then.

Edit! And what the hells in there to make it a 70mb file! The largest and most ungainly of my sketchup model files crammed with complex cars and 3d people and large geometry is still only 50mb....from those shots you post theres nothing in there but a few textures and some lighting so perhaps something is off somewhere.....

I figured its to do with a huge texture file for the concrete wall, as the file size jumped from 20 to 70meg after I added it in. I could probably drop the resolution, however the detail is useful.
Architect in training...
...almost done!

compadrelucas

Post by compadrelucas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:56 am

I believe Pibuz once mentioned that when using certain textures, it was best to separate corners at a tenth of a millimiter. He said this keeps teh fireflies away.
Perhaps you could try to have your walls / floors not joining at a vertex. (Light might be getting caught in that corner... :) )

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am

...and voilà pibuz again!
No way you should displace walls from the floor: THAT is unrealistic, and wouldn't result in any advantage (fireflies and calculation problems show up when two surfaces touch, not if they're orthogonal).
BTW, are you using any kind of displacement in your scene?

And another question: which version are you using?

compadrelucas

Post by compadrelucas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 am

I could swear I read one your posts where you mention something about corners and else.

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=7696

Quote:

".... Fourth thing: If you have very reflective materials (like your floor), it is always a good idea to have a small gap of 0.0005-0.001 meters separating the objects you put on, or against, them. This will give Indigo some help in correctly calculating the corners..."

I must have misunderstood the explanation or the context. I am sorry if I am not contributing to the thread.

Lucas.
Costa Rica.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Lucas! Maybe I'm not explaining myself very clearly...

You should leave a gap between a surface and another one perfeclty coplanar. Say the bottom of a glass and the top of the table, for instance.

Perpendicular surfaces create no problems at all during the calculation.

compadrelucas

Post by compadrelucas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 am

COPLANAR!! that is the word!
I am sorry. english is my second language. am not very clear in spanish either!!

thank you again. your posts are always very insightful.

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Pibuz wrote:...and voilà pibuz again!
No way you should displace walls from the floor: THAT is unrealistic, and wouldn't result in any advantage (fireflies and calculation problems show up when two surfaces touch, not if they're orthogonal).
BTW, are you using any kind of displacement in your scene?

And another question: which version are you using?
Thanks Pibuz,

Nope, no displacement in this scene, just bump.

I'm using v2.4.13 skindigo and indigo. It's just so weird!
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Post the flippin' file then, giz a look :wink:

27 posts