Light appearing at edge of floor

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
gjengi

Re: Light appearing at edge of floor

Post by gjengi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:54 am

Bosseye wrote:Post the flippin' file then, giz a look :wink:
I've tried, but it's taking so long to upload that I just gave up.

Has no-one else had this problem then? Or an answer at all?
Architect in training...
...almost done!

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:39 am

Pibuz wrote:Perpendicular surfaces create no problems at all during the calculation.
Not sure of this. In the special case where floor and wall are just connected by one edge, without floor extending under the wall, I guess there will be problems.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 am

gjengi wrote:it's taking so long to upload
How about exporting a single wall or a single room and its floor?
Upload is faster and it goes straight to the problem. :idea:

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 am

Lemo wrote:
gjengi wrote:it's taking so long to upload
How about exporting a single wall or a single room and its floor?
Upload is faster and it goes straight to the problem. :idea:
I've reduced the file size by making the model smaller and removing the large concrete textures. The problem still occurs, albeit in a more subtle way. Here's the file. Thanks :-)
Attachments
indigo_test05.zip
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Well, whatever the issue is, its now infected my sketchup :lol: Downloaded the file and had a play, I'm getting the same results as you with light leaking in at the joints. Tried starting a new model with a box in it, and my copy of skecthup is exhibiting the same symptoms now...

W!
T!
F!

Quite frankly.

Edit - just reinstalled Sketchup, Indigo and Skindigo, still leaking light. No idea what the problem is here!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Rule of thumb with Indigo: model realistically !

Walls in real life are not infinitely thin. The reason why light would leak through a simple box edges is known and technically justified. Give that box a thickness, and you will be done !

That's why setting a big plane below enhanced results partially. Oh, and this has nothing to do with textures resolution, does it ?

Indeed displacement would... displace surfaces borders and potentially induce leaks. You can get edges stitched together while using displacement by making the edges soft, though this doesn't always look right in the SK viewport. But the render matters ;)
obsolete asset

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 pm

CTZn wrote:Rule of thumb with Indigo: model realistically !

Walls in real life are not infinitely thin. The reason why light would leak through a simple box edges is known and technically justified. Give that box a thickness, and you will be done !

That's why setting a big plane below enhanced results partially. Oh, and this has nothing to do with textures resolution, does it ?

Indeed displacement would... displace surfaces borders and potentially induce leaks. You can get edges stitched together while using displacement by making the edges soft, though this doesn't always look right in the SK viewport. But the render matters ;)
:lol: Hes right you know. I didn't know this was the result when you just use single planes for walls as I normally give them a thickness.

As I didn't know this leaking light was a consequence of single plane walls and floors, when I tested gjenji's model using a box with no volumes I assumed it was a bug that I'd either never noticed before as I never look that closely at the wall/floor junctions or that I'd somehow brought in a rogue setting from gjenji's model....

Awesome, thanks for the info anyway :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

You are welcome !

Your Sketchup is safe :)
obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 pm

I'd like to tell my experience now.
When doing interiors, I RARELY (read never) give walls a thickness, and I never get any light coming through the floor joints. I always thought this was just meant to be, but here some pros say it isn't! So, why do my scenes render just right even if my walls are wafer-thin? :lol:

I experienced that problem (light leaks) when testing the 2.4.13 releases, I made the issue clear and never saw that in the later releases. I don't remember if the problem still showed up when testing GPU rendering or something..

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 am

CTZn wrote:Rule of thumb with Indigo: model realistically !

I get your point and I do try and model realistically, the walls have thickness (400mm in fact), just not a bottom plane I suppose.

Surely two planes meeting should not let any light through though? As Pibuz says?

P.s. I've not used any displacement at all here, so that shouldn't come into the equation :?
Architect in training...
...almost done!

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 am

Pibuz wrote:I'd like to tell my experience now.
When doing interiors, I RARELY (read never) give walls a thickness, and I never get any light coming through the floor joints. I always thought this was just meant to be, but here some pros say it isn't! So, why do my scenes render just right even if my walls are wafer-thin? :lol:

I experienced that problem (light leaks) when testing the 2.4.13 releases, I made the issue clear and never saw that in the later releases. I don't remember if the problem still showed up when testing GPU rendering or something..
Thanks Pibuz, I'm glad I'm not just going mad! :)
Architect in training...
...almost done!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:13 am

Well, all in all I'm just sharing my own experience, only remember there are ways to limit the issue whenever you are bumping into it. Walls thickness, baseboards, whatever. It could happen also because of a precision issue, ie non-merged edges meant to be at contact aren't once geometries are exported. In such a case it might be better to actually intersect floor and walls by a small distance, but again, it's all empirical and scene/workflow dependent.
obsolete asset

27 posts