SkIndigo 0.6 Sketchup to Indigo Exporter Nearing Release

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Whaat
Developer

SkIndigo 0.6 Sketchup to Indigo Exporter Nearing Release

Post by Whaat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 am

Greetings to all!

I am currently working on an Indigo exporter for Sketchup. For those of you who love Sketchup and Indigo (like me...), this will make your lives so much easier....No more Blender or XML editing!!! Yay! Script is almost complete and will be posted very soon....

Here are some samples.

The Statues of Liberty and Opera House models were downloaded from the 3D Warehouse and exported with NO setup time (except turning on shadows). NK_data materials have been implemented (see nkdata.jpg)

Side Note to All:
Consider using the 3D Warehouse to share your Indigo rendering models once I have completed the script. (Sketchup can import 3DS). It might be a great way for Indigo users to share scenes and learn from each other. Image

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 am

Wow, great work Whaat!
Look forward to the official release!

One question: what version of Indigo are you targeting?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:43 am

The first version of the script will support Indigo 0.6. After that's complete, I will sleep for a bit and then start work on 0.7.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:10 am

Some more samples....

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Impressive! Good work Whaat! It's another great alternative and adds a powerful tool to the pipeline. (Skectchup free?)

Radiance, please do open a forum for Sk2Indigo to keep better track of this baby! :wink:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

peer

Post by peer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 am

As a Sketchup user, I would love to try your exporter! I'll be watching this space. Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Peter

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:31 am

Amazing Whaat !

I think there is a free version of Sketchup shipped with Google Earth or something, I don't use this but could your exporter work with ? I'm a casual user of Sketchup, and for me it's waaay easier than Blender to learn, so I'm watching this too ;)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:54 am

Google Sketchup is free and the script should work for all versions (free and PRO) I am currently testing the script using Google Sketchup (beta) which is the old free version. I will also test it with the recently released upgrade Google Sketchup 6 before I release it.

It seems that the Sketchup community is growing exponentially since the free version was released. The integration of Google Earth and the 3D Warehouse are no doubt attracting many new users.

Part of the reason there are so few Sketchup users on these forums is because the average Sketchup user probably throws his hands up in the air in frustration after loading up Blender. The two programs could not be any more different. After having spent considerable time with the Sketchup -> Blender -> Indigo workflow, I decided that I had enough and it was time for someone to write an exporter.

Interestingly enough, I had no knowledge of Ruby when I started this project. The project was supposed to be a little hobby that would help me learn Ruby. However, thanks to the excellent Kerkythea script by Tomasz to use as a reference, I made quick progress.

I am hoping that my exporter will really generate further interest in Indigo of which I am obviously a huge fan.

Great work Ono!! Keep it up!

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

Hi all,

I just registered here on the forum (browsing it for more than a year).
All the time I was waiting for the SU exporter (Blender is too much of a hassle for me).

Thanks Whaat and good luck with that scripting.
If you'd need someone to try it before release?...I am here :D

regards,
kwistenbiebel

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:43 am

...I like the resulting images posted above...

The Opera House however could use a little postedit to bring out the details:

10 posts • Page 1 of 1