External meshes

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
thesquirell

External meshes

Post by thesquirell » Sat May 23, 2015 6:31 am

Hi there guys, I was wondering is there a possibility to use external meshes in C4D? It would be used to shorten the export time from C4D to Indigo, by just referencing the mesh to be loaded?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: External meshes

Post by Zom-B » Sun May 31, 2015 10:52 am

Well, there is no such possibility atm.

There was some kind of such back in the old days (first c4d exported by BlackLizard??!) where you could export IGS only and therefor skip mesh export, what ended up in super fast export once you had a run with mesh export before...

Also there was some king of external mesh object, but afaik it was only to load ply objects.

I have to admit that I don't have the feeling that mesh export does take too long, its actually blazing fast!
What does take time is rather texture baking and for animation export the "export everything for every frame" approach.
Maybe you can describe the actual scenario you have where the mesh export is such a pain?
polygonmanufaktur.de

thesquirell

Re: External meshes

Post by thesquirell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 am

Hey Zom-B, thanks for the reply!

I can agree with that, Cindigo is actually very fast at exporting meshes, and overall, a very fast exporter, and I can definitely work on my workflow, stop exporting the whole scene all over again when even the slightest change is made. But sometimes when using models that weigh around 500mb, and having few of those models in the scene can take up a lot of time. The texture thing caused me some trouble, but then I discovered texture baking function that saved my life! :D
And yes, that animation export procedure could use a bit of developer's soft hand touch! :)
Simply, I was just wondering if we had that option, like SketchUp exporter has, maybe I missed it somewhere, but we can manage with this, too, right? :D

3 posts • Page 1 of 1