Indigo RT and Cinema 4D Lite?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
hellopaul

Indigo RT and Cinema 4D Lite?

Post by hellopaul » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello,
I have Cinema 4D Lite (bundled with After Effects CC) which has various restrictions, such as a max. render size of 800x600px, and no global illumination. I'd like to create some scenes at high res and with better realism than the standard (non-GI) C4D renderer. (The "desired" C4D Lite-After Effects workflow is to model the scene in C4D Lite then export it to After Effects for rendering/compositing at any resolution. But no GI).

So...

Will adding the Indigo RT plug-in lift the 800x600 restriction, or is the render size still set using the standard C4D render setup dialogue box?

I'm not familiar with the export to Indigo RT process; would this enable me to model my scene in C4D Lite, then export it to Indigo RT (a standalone app?) and set up my desired render size there?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Indigo RT and Cinema 4D Lite?

Post by Zom-B » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 pm

hellopaul wrote:I'm not familiar with the export to Indigo RT process; would this enable me to model my scene in C4D Lite, then export it to Indigo RT (a standalone app?) and set up my desired render size there?
This should be very possible, since even the limited C4D demos export fine to Indigo!
Feel free to test the Indigo RT Demo and see for yourself: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=13326

Here you can find some installation instructions and general infos here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... -cinema-4d

It is very likely that the installer doesn't find your C4D installation, in that case navigate the installer into it by hand.
I doubt that rendering with India via After Effects works, but feel free to test it and report back :)
(you need halt conditions to set to do animations in the C4D scene file!)
polygonmanufaktur.de

hellopaul

Post by hellopaul » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Thanks for your quick reply, Zom-B. Hopefully I'll get the time to install the trial version later today. I very much doubt that it would be possible to render an C4D -> After Effects file within After Effects using Indigo. Indigo would have to somehow interface through the AE Cineware plug-in.

- Paul

hellopaul

Post by hellopaul » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 pm

By the way, do you happen to know what the limitations of the demo are? Is it just watermarked? Hopefully it's not limited to 800x600px! I need to test it can render up to at least 1920x1080 before I consider buying it.

hellopaul

Post by hellopaul » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 am

For no apparent reason, the third time I installed Indigo RT, it asked me where my C4D plugins folder is. I successfully installed it, but C4D Lite does not see the plugin. BUT - I read that C++ / Python APIs are not supported by C4D Lite. I'm guessing that's probably my problem, and it's insurmountable, without forking out £1200 for the full version of C4D (which has global illumination capabilities, which is why I was looking at Indigo RT instead). Looks like I'm in some kind of infinite loop, and spending lots of money (for a single project) is the only escape. :cry:

- Paul

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 am

You're only going to do one project? Have you been working with 3D before?

hellopaul

Post by hellopaul » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:35 am

Yes, I've used Maya (a lot) and Cinema 4D for a few projects. But that was all while I was working for various companies, and they had the ££ and $$ to buy full versions of the software. I'm now freelance and trying to limit my expenditure.

Would I be crazy to try to learn Blender? Hmmm....I'll give it a go, maybe.

- Paul

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:57 am

Blender + Indigo RT is definitely the cheapest solution I can think of. I'm using Blender myself, so just ask if you have any Blender + Indigo questions. :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:16 am

hellopaul wrote:Would I be crazy to try to learn Blender? Hmmm....I'll give it a go, maybe.
If I wouldn't have learned C4D back at school, I would go for Blender too, now I'm "stuck" with C4D and am too lazy to move along just a tiny bit -.-'
polygonmanufaktur.de

9 posts • Page 1 of 1