Alpha Materials

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Rezca

Alpha Materials

Post by Rezca » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:34 am

I've been using some plants that use alpha maps (In TIF format) for the leaves and sometimes the branches, but when rendered in Indigo they will almost always be inverted - where the leaves are masked but the polygons are visible.

By default, the alpha maps are like this when converted to Indigo materials - A black-on-white image. Merely swapping the Black Point and White Point values doesn't do anything, I have to Edit Image and invert it in Photoshop and then Refresh the image for it to render properly (Even though the material preview doesn't reflect that)

All of this is within Cinema - I haven't tried messing with material settings within Indigo standalone after exporting the scene like I do with Environment maps.

So my question is, do I have to go into each and every material (Which there are sometimes dozens) and open each image and invert it manually every time, or is there some setting or option I've overlooked?
Attachments
ScreenHunter_265 Jun. 12 09.36.jpg
Cinema 4D R13 Visualize + Indigo Render

CTZn

Re: Alpha Materials

Post by CTZn » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 am

A hint though not your answer:

A texture can be inverted by setting its gain (b parameter) to -1.0 and offset (c parameter) to 1.0 (instead of 1.0 and 0.0 respectively).
obsolete asset

Rezca

Post by Rezca » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 am

CTZn wrote:A hint though not your answer:

A texture can be inverted by setting its gain (b parameter) to -1.0 and offset (c parameter) to 1.0 (instead of 1.0 and 0.0 respectively).

Still so much I don't know about Indigo's basic material settings.
That worked perfectly! Although they were already at -1.0 and 1.0, swapping them to 1.0 and 0.0 fixed it.

Thank you!
Cinema 4D R13 Visualize + Indigo Render

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:11 am

and always make sure to use "step blend" when using such kind of alpha maps, this way indigo will clamp grey values to black or white, so you won't loose rendertime on semitransparent borderpixels ;)
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

4 posts • Page 1 of 1