Texture size

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
ejanne

Texture size

Post by ejanne » Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 am

Hi there. I'm currently testing using the demo version and noticed that all my textures were being converted to 1k. In my scene, all my textures are 4096 square. Looking at the files listed in Indigo GIU, I noticed that all the files that had blended layers had been squashed down to 1k. But even though the direct file path to the original 4k displacement texture map was retained, the renderer still seemed to squash it down to 1k for the render resulting in ugly aliasing. Is this a limitation of the demo version or with Cindigo? I wondered if it was a video ram issue, but I've tried rendering on CPU as well as GPU with the same results.

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else. I searched for a while for references to texture size and came up with nothing.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Texture size

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 am

If you use C4D based Shaders, the Exporter will bake your textures before renderin (or export).
For each material you can set the target baking resolution in the Material "Extra Options".
Try only to use C4D shaders if really needed, since baking multiple materials can take quite a while and slow down the export progress a lot!
polygonmanufaktur.de

ejanne

Post by ejanne » Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Ah. Thank you very much for your response. That worked with the color map, but strangely, the displacement map is still being crushed down to 1024 even though it is referencing a 4096 square texture file on disk. At the moment, because the other maps are blended shaders, Cindigo has to render them out, but the displacement map is just a texture map that Cindigo exports unchanged. Perhaps if I forced Cindigo to re-render it would make a difference?

EDIT: Ok. I get it now. Indigo was not crushing down the displacement map. Instead, Cindigo was not subdividing the mesh on export. In C4D shaders, there is a setting in the displacement channel that allows you to tell Advanced Renderer to further subdivide the mesh during displacement. I assumed that Cindigo would translate this setting automatically. However, it appears that it doesn't. I had to check the "Smooth" option under converted Indigo material's displacement channel.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm

ejanne wrote:I had to check the "Smooth" option under converted Indigo material's displacement channel.
Well, thats not what you actually want!
The smooth checkbox does only apply a fixed radius Gaussian Blur to the texture... I hope to see that value to be editable by the user in the future.

What you need is to place a Cindigo Subdiv Tag on your mesh that you like to displace!
enable smoothing inside it and also view dependent to save (a lot of) RAM (view dependent doesn't work if you want to instance that mesh further...)
Pixel threshold is your best friend here, since it does only subdiv triangles until the hit a minimum Pixel size.
Indigo uses for that the internal render resolution before SuperSampling the image. So a SuperSampling value of 3 and a Pixel threshold of 9 would end up in a minimum size for triangles of 3 in the resulting image...

I hope that was not to much technical mambo jumbo, but better to much information then not enough :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Texture size

Post by zeitmeister » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm

There is an extra Indigo subdivision-tag for that, which you should assign to your mesh if you want it being subdivided only for rendering:
"Displacement Tag".
Subpolygondisplacement level values from the C4D material channel are not being regarded!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Texture size

Post by zeitmeister » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Zom-B, you quick daredevil...
Cheers, David

·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 pm

zeitmeister wrote:Zom-B, you quick daredevil...
The early bird grabs the worm :lol:
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Texture size

Post by zeitmeister » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Don't paint the devil on the wall! ;)
Cheers, David

·

ejanne

Post by ejanne » Wed May 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Zom-B wrote:
zeitmeister wrote:Zom-B, you quick daredevil...
The early bird grabs the worm :lol:
Hey, who u calling a worm?!? :lol:

But thanks so much for your help. I've been banging my head against this all evening. I'm finally getting somewhere.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 pm

ejanne wrote:I've been banging my head against this all evening.
"Don't go with your head through the wall", better check the Cindigo manual and example scenes, maybe some snippets there could be still useful for ya :)
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... -cinema-4d
polygonmanufaktur.de

10 posts • Page 1 of 1