Material Preview

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
forgeflow

Material Preview

Post by forgeflow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Is there any trick to making the material previews look more like.. I dunno... the actual material? My environment map material (which works fine) is a black sphere. My aluminum material (which works fine) is a shiny black sphere. A glass material is a shiny black sphere. Etc. Is there a way to get an actual material preview that looks ANYTHING like the material?

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Material Preview

Post by Mor4us » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:45 pm

mat preview for emission materials is hard to manage cause they've all different light intensities.
maybe you could get over it by creating your own mat preview scene with indigo cam tag in it.
aluminium mat looks black cause the current preview scene has no good environment to show in reflection.
glass mat preview works fine here

afaik yves fixed the preview scene thing in the latest update, so you could setup any scene you want as your personal mat preview and save it in c4d main folder/library/materialpreview
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 am

Mor4us wrote:mat preview for emission materials is hard to manage cause they've all different light intensities.
maybe you could get over it by creating your own mat preview scene with indigo cam tag in it.
aluminium mat looks black cause the current preview scene has no good environment to show in reflection.
glass mat preview works fine here

afaik yves fixed the preview scene thing in the latest update, so you could setup any scene you want as your personal mat preview and save it in c4d main folder/library/materialpreview
Actually, it's even better than that. From the changelog:

* Cindigo now parses res/materialpreview for user preview scenes (in .c4d format) to add to the Indigo Material. Preview scenes must have the Indigo Renderer Settings present, otherwise they will be converted the same way the standard preview scenes are converted (and will look bad).

Putting the preview scene there will ensure it only gets added to the Indigo Material.

There currently is a bug with textures in those preview scenes, which has been fixed for the next release.

forgeflow

Post by forgeflow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 am

Do the Indigo settings in the preview scene have to have stop parameters set, or will the render just keep going if I don't? Can they have an environment map set in them? I'll fiddle around with this when my machine isn't busy, but I'd figure I ask those questions first.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 am

forgeflow wrote:Do the Indigo settings in the preview scene have to have stop parameters set, or will the render just keep going if I don't? Can they have an environment map set in them? I'll fiddle around with this when my machine isn't busy, but I'd figure I ask those questions first.
The indigo material will set halt parameters itself when rendering the preview.

You can also set an environment map. Currently using textures in preview scenes is broken, tho, so you'd have to wait for the next release for that.

Cheers!

5 posts • Page 1 of 1