How can I create motion blur in Cinema4D?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
swampdigo

How can I create motion blur in Cinema4D?

Post by swampdigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 am

Hi All,

I've recently purchased IndigoRT to use in cinema4D R13.

I'm not sure how to enable motion blur, can anyone help me?

I'm sure I've simply overlooked it, but I can't find reference to it in the manual or an answer on the forum.
I'm rendering a short animation of spheres falling into a container using dynamics. I have tried baking the animation. I can use Cinema4D's Sub-FrameMotionBlur (but this increases number of frames obviously)

I cant find the 'check box' or work out what camera settings I need to generat 'IndigoRT motion blur'

Thanks in advance.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: How can I create motion blur in Cinema4D?

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 am

Please post Exporter related Stuff in the Exporter Subforum!

You need to aply the C4D Motion blur Tag on Objects and or Camera. The % Value affects the resulting Motion Blur, same does your Camera exposure duration controls the Motion Blur.
polygonmanufaktur.de

swampdigo

Post by swampdigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:42 am

Ah. Sorry. Thought it was a global feature rather than exporter specific.

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

Could we continue this in the correct sub-forum, because I'd thought I'd tried this and it didnt work?

Cheers

swampdigo

Motion Blur Problems....

Post by swampdigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:50 am

Hello All

...continuing from my miss-placed post in the General forum... I really can't generate motion blur

I have a dynamics animation which I have baked (just spheres falling into a container)

I have tried adding a cinema motion blur tag to my objects, upping % to 1000, have Indigo camera tag on camera with shutter to 1sec, have tried enabling vector motion blur effect on cinema render setting (I'm not sure this is what I'm after)

In short, I'm really trying to force the issue and seeing no results.
This is my first day with IndigoRT, so I'm probably being a bit thick and impatient, but any further help would be great. (Thanks to Zom-B for suggestions already)

Cheers

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 am

swampdigo wrote:Could we continue this in the correct sub-forum, because I'd thought I'd tried this and it didnt work?
No need for another thread once "the damage is done" :P
Maybe some moderator can move it to C4D Exporter Area please?!

I attached a simple scene with motion blur, only by following my advice from above you should come that far too! If you have problems with something its sometimes good to give it a try in a external scene with a quick and simple setup :)
Attachments
MotionBlur.zip
(124.46 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
polygonmanufaktur.de

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Motion Blur Problems....

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 am

polygonmanufaktur.de

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Motion Blur Problems....

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:37 am

swampdigo wrote:I have tried adding a cinema motion blur tag to my objects, upping % to 1000, have Indigo camera tag on camera with shutter to 1sec
if you set your shutter time to 1 sec and the MoBlur object scale to 1000% you get a 10sec motion blur rendering.
if your animation ist just very short like 1sec, the output render will end up without any MoBlur since the still standing final animation will be exposures for 9sec.
reduce the shutter speed to 1/10 sec and value to 100% so you have a motion blur of 2.5frames, also set your timeline to a fitting point since the MoBlur starts from actual keyframe to 2.5 frames from there on.

It is maybe possible that baked stuff has problems with MoBlur, if you could provide some simplified scenario that could help for debugging!
polygonmanufaktur.de

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 am

Moved post to C4D forum and merged in the other post :)

swampdigo

Post by swampdigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:59 am

:oops:

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 am

swampdigo wrote::oops:
No worries :)

edit: did you get motion blur to work now?

There are some issues with it, unfortunately.

swampdigo

Post by swampdigo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 am

Hey Fused,

I posted a reasonably comprehensive reply. Did it get lost in the merge (might not've been moderator approved yet)?
The general idea was:
- nice one, Zom-B. You's a helpful person
- yes, it now works, and I think I know the problem
- everything has to be baked into key frames (no baked dynamics or vibrate tags generated movement)
...and to you as a developer...
- my guess is this, is the Global Matrix (or Position or whatever) not changing when the object has a vibrate tag? It moves on screen and in render but does Cinema consider the object to be 'stationary' and mearly 'modified' by the vibrate tag / dynamics 'container'.
I'm talking of things I realy don't understand, but whatever it is in Cinema that Indigo 'looks' at to retrieve movement information isn't the whole story as far as 'the-person-making-things-move-on-screen' sees.
If I can be any help testing or reporting results PLEASE let me know (you'll have to point me in the right direction for what you need, I'm no genius but I'm keen and willing to put in the hours).
I'm super keen to have a 'if it moves on my screen then Indigo can motion blur it' result, because already I can see Indigo can make my renders look oh so good, but the 'exporting scene' time went through the roof when I baked to keyframes the PSR of my dynamic sim.

Anyway, I'm rambling

Thanks for asking how I did, that was a nice thing to do.

Cheers

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 pm

swampdigo wrote:I'm super keen to have a 'if it moves on my screen then Indigo can motion blur it' result
The MoBlur System has an limitiation, that only movement get takes into acount, not any polygonal morphs like meta balls etc.

But there is a nice workarround for that :)
You can enable Scene-MotionBlur in the render settings and render a image inside C4D!
You also need to set a halt parameter for Indigo to get it to work.
C4D then renders as many subframes as you told it to do and merge them into a image.
The great thing here is that the renderquality gets merged to, but MotionBlur tags on objects get ignored.
rendering 15 subframes with halt @ 10sec you end up with a nice 150sec look of the final image ;)
(not perfectly true, but a solid base to work with)

Here are two renderings of a 49step motion with each rendered to only 2samples/pixel. the noisy image is to show how a render of 2 s/px look like :)
Attachments
MotionBlur2.zip
The scenefile
(137.71 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
MotionBlur-1step.jpg
1 such 2 samples/px image
MotionBlur-49steps.jpg
49 steps of 2samples/px merged by C4D
polygonmanufaktur.de

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 pm

swampdigo wrote:Hey Fused,

I posted a reasonably comprehensive reply. Did it get lost in the merge (might not've been moderator approved yet)?
If it's not in here it must have been lost. Sorry about that.
swampdigo wrote: ...and to you as a developer...
- my guess is this, is the Global Matrix (or Position or whatever) not changing when the object has a vibrate tag? It moves on screen and in render but does Cinema consider the object to be 'stationary' and mearly 'modified' by the vibrate tag / dynamics 'container'.
Indigo for C4D is not evaluating the animation completely, there were some rather unwanted side effects, if I remember correctly. I will look into this again.
swampdigo wrote: I'm talking of things I realy don't understand, but whatever it is in Cinema that Indigo 'looks' at to retrieve movement information isn't the whole story as far as 'the-person-making-things-move-on-screen' sees.
If I can be any help testing or reporting results PLEASE let me know (you'll have to point me in the right direction for what you need, I'm no genius but I'm keen and willing to put in the hours).
I'm super keen to have a 'if it moves on my screen then Indigo can motion blur it' result, because already I can see Indigo can make my renders look oh so good, but the 'exporting scene' time went through the roof when I baked to keyframes the PSR of my dynamic sim.

Anyway, I'm rambling

Thanks for asking how I did, that was a nice thing to do.

Cheers
The last bit about the export time going through the roof - can you give a me a simple example scene?

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm

The issue with vibrate tags etc is not easily fixable, unfortunately.

swampdigo

Post by swampdigo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:01 am

@ Zom-B: I was beginning to see how I could use the Sub-Frame Blur in cinema and benefit from a smoothing of 'render grain'. It may well prove to be a viable solution.

@ fused: I'd be happy to show you what I mean about export times:

The files are a simple dynamics scene, and that same scene baked. As you can see, the 'bake scene' is 120 larger (unzipped) that the 'sim scene' and so I cant blame Indigo for taking some time to export it. In this case it's adding about 20s-30s (on my machine) onto each frame. And this is a simple scene. I can imagine things grinding to a halt fairly quickly, not just with Indigo but with my poor machine struggling under the weight of animation keyframes.

Maybe Sub-Frame MotionBlur is the way to go for now.
Attachments
Export times example (sim only).zip
(240.79 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Export times example (fully baked).zip
(5.25 MiB) Downloaded 275 times

15 posts • Page 1 of 1