Speed

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Rich_Art

Speed

Post by Rich_Art » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:42 am

Hi All,

Just downloaded the trial of Indigo for C4D.
I'm used to Vray and I love the speed of Vray. Can anyone point me in the right direction to speed things up?

Peace,
Rich_Art. :wink:
Cinema4D R13 Studio + VrayforC4D + UVLayout Pro + 3DCoat + MOI3D
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Neem ook gerust eens een kijkje in mijn galerij en op mijn Vimeo page

Headroom
Indigo 100

Speed

Post by Headroom » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:56 pm

If you show us what you intend to render it would make it much easier to provide targeted help. However:

1. Use exit portals when rendering indoor scenes with light coming in from windows.
2. Don't use more than 80% white (not more than 200, 200, 200 for an RGB triplet)

I can come up with a few more, but then again, it depends on what you intend to render.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Rich_Art

Re: Speed

Post by Rich_Art » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I know it is not much info I gave indeed.
I made just a simple room with a couple of holes in the ceiling and a couple of simple objects in the room.
I'll make a screenshot asap.

Peace,
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Neem ook gerust eens een kijkje in mijn galerij en op mijn Vimeo page

Rich_Art

Post by Rich_Art » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm

See images.

Indigo after 7min and the other is from Vray 1min and 17 seconds.
I used Exit portals with Indigo and all default settings.

Peace,
Attachments
vray-room_0002.jpg
Indigo_room_0002-7min.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

Speed

Post by Headroom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 am

It exemplifies a problem with these test scenes.
While I trust that you took care to have whites not over 80% it's still an all white environment with diffuse ( clay) surfaces.
Once you furnish your scene with more complex materials I believe Indigo will pick up some speed relative to Vray. That's an assumption on my side as I don't use Vray.

What kind of scene you are rendering (indoor vs. outdoor etc.) also determines what render mode is best suited for it.

GPU support only exists for Pathtracing currently ( bidirectional pathtracing is in the works as I understand it). Outdoor scenes or generally scenes with large light sources and opaque more diffuse reflecting materials are also not too bad.

Once specular materials (Glass etc.) are involved and/ or small light sources as often the case in interior architecture, path-racing (even GPU supported) looses ground and Bidirectional pathracing with MLT become more efficient.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Rich_Art

Post by Rich_Art » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:11 am

Yes I understand it is hard to compare but I gave it a go.

I used 3 engines Indigo, Maxwell and Vray which I own.
All 3 have a physical sky and sun and a standard material.
Vray is the winner in speed. Although I never used Indigo and Maxwell so with those 2 engines I used all settings on default.
With Vray I had to test several settings and thus do a lot of render tests, so the overall speed of Vray will drop considerably.
test-renderengines.jpg
And the same room but now rendered for 20min. Not bad but it has to be quicker than this. :-)
Indigo_room_0002.jpg

Dell laptop with an I7 2720QM proc.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:41 am

Making speed comparisons between renderers is always fraught with danger, specially if one is using biased methods to come to a solution when the other is not. What are your goals? Do you want speed or realism? There is always a compromise when it comes to speed vs quality. You should do some reading on Biased vs Unbiased rendering, it will aid you a great deal in comparing render engines.

Try setting vray to lightcache/lightcache + progressive path tracing + sample size: 0, then compare that result. http://www.vray.us/vray_tutorials/vray_ ... cing.shtml here is a tutorial on how do that.

Both of these images were rendered for 1 minute 30 seconds, one in ingido, one using vray with above 'unbiased' settings.
Attachments
indigo.png
vray.png

Rich_Art

Post by Rich_Art » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks for the comparison.

My goal is to make nice images like we all want. Of course I understand that you can't compare biased and unbiased engines.That was not my initial question. I just showed the difference in speed.
My question still is, what can I do to speed things up a little bit. I'm new to Indigo and therefore I'd ask.
Perhaps there are special things to consider when setting up a render.
I have more than 15 years experience with 3D(Cinema4D) and I know what to expect from a biased render engine. As stated above, I do not have any experience with Indigo so that is why I come here and ask.

Thomas told me that Indigo is not that slow as 3D community members think it is.

Peace,

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 am

Rich_Art wrote:Thanks for the comparison.

My goal is to make nice images like we all want. Of course I understand that you can't compare biased and unbiased engines.That was not my initial question. I just showed the difference in speed.
My question still is, what can I do to speed things up a little bit. I'm new to Indigo and therefore I'd ask.
Perhaps there are special things to consider when setting up a render.
I have more than 15 years experience with 3D(Cinema4D) and I know what to expect from a biased render engine. As stated above, I do not have any experience with Indigo so that is why I come here and ask.

Thomas told me that Indigo is not that slow as 3D community members think it is.

Peace,
Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit there. I actually think I remember your name from cinema 4d forums from years ago :D - They were an awesome forum.

As for making indigo faster, it's really a scene by scene task. Headroom covered it well.

Rich_Art

Post by Rich_Art » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:16 am

No problem.
It could be the case knowing me. I was an admin on C4DCafe for a couple of years and on other forums as well.
I now have my own C4D forum. www.c4dlounge.eu (Since 2009)

I'll put it to the test, I really like Indigo and I hope I can convince out members that an unbiased engine is not that slow as they think it is......

Peace,

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 am

Rich_Art wrote:No problem.
It could be the case knowing me. I was an admin on C4DCafe for a couple of years and on other forums as well.
I now have my own C4D forum. http://www.c4dlounge.eu (Since 2009)

I'll put it to the test, I really like Indigo and I hope I can convince out members that an unbiased engine is not that slow as they think it is......

Peace,

Ah, it was c4dcafe. You probably helped me out multiple times. I still miss C4D after moving to max years ago. :D

Rich_Art

Post by Rich_Art » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 am

Could be the case. :lol:

Peace,

12 posts • Page 1 of 1