Remove unused materials (no biggy)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
StuDIO

Post by StuDIO » Thu May 03, 2012 10:57 am

When cleaning up a scene, if you run the material function "remove unused materials" it is non-recursive with Indigo materials - so you have to keep selecting it until all mats are removed.

I'm starting to get the hang of it now, and must congratulate all involved again - very smart. Still a little uneasy when it comes to lighting (using more than one type of source at once i.e. lights with sun or lights with image based lighting... very hit and miss for me)
-----------------------------------
OS X 10.8 Mac Pro(5.1) 2 x 2.93GHz 6 core Xeon, 14GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB, Wacom PL 2200, Cinema 4d r12/r13, Maxwell 2, Thea Render & Indigo 3
http://www.pulsegroup.com

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Thu May 03, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly:
Does it work to "remove unused materials" but keeping blended Indigo materials or not?
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Remove unused materials (no biggy)

Post by Zom-B » Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Regarding the "remove unused materials" I have no idea where your issue is here, it works fine for me and even materials that are used in blends and as a envMap get recognized probably and not deleted :)

The whole multiple light sources situation is quite tricky in Indigo try uniform emitter with a value of 1.000.000 as a starting point, that often works out for me...
polygonmanufaktur.de

StuDIO

Post by StuDIO » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi - to clarify - it's no issue - just pointing it out. Imagine 10 indigo materials are in the browser (unused) by selecting remove unused materials it only deletes the first it comes to in the browser window - then stops - so you need to repeat the process until all clean (I am on a mac). I can second that it keeps blended mats perfectly as it does background mats.

With regards to the lighting If l post in the how do I with the current project I'm working on - would you mind having a look- I'm not getting it - must be a blonde hair day.

Thanks
Stu
OS X 10.8 Mac Pro(5.1) 2 x 2.93GHz 6 core Xeon, 14GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB, Wacom PL 2200, Cinema 4d r12/r13, Maxwell 2, Thea Render & Indigo 3

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

StuDIO wrote:Hi - to clarify - it's no issue - just pointing it out. Imagine 10 indigo materials are in the browser (unused) by selecting remove unused materials it only deletes the first it comes to in the browser window - then stops - so you need to repeat the process until all clean (I am on a mac). I can second that it keeps blended mats perfectly as it does background mats.
Actually it should delete all unused mats at once... maybe a Mac bug... I'm a PC :)
StuDIO wrote:With regards to the lighting If l post in the how do I with the current project I'm working on - would you mind having a look- I'm not getting it - must be a blonde hair day.
Feel free to send me your scene or link it via PM, as long as you use R12...
polygonmanufaktur.de

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Zom-B wrote:
StuDIO wrote:Hi - to clarify - it's no issue - just pointing it out. Imagine 10 indigo materials are in the browser (unused) by selecting remove unused materials it only deletes the first it comes to in the browser window - then stops - so you need to repeat the process until all clean (I am on a mac). I can second that it keeps blended mats perfectly as it does background mats.
Actually it should delete all unused mats at once... maybe a Mac bug... I'm a PC :)
Probably a bug :)
Will look into it!

In case I can't reproduce it, do you have a simple scene that shows the problem?

Thanks!

StuDIO

Post by StuDIO » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 pm

I will do - but I think it's clear as day what the issue is - after having just read a thread called "Crazy Lighting" and.... Rheinhard is the keyword.

My issue was my scene was continuously auto correcting itself while adjusting the light layers - turn the lights down - the background would bump up - vice versa... thats because that's what this particular tone mapping default does...

to quote CTNz "If the intensity test was run against Reinhard tonemapping then that's not intensity that you are controlling, powers discrepancies rather. Linear and Camera tonemapping methods have a fixed (absolute) sensibility to the light while the Reinhard method has a sensibility automatically adjusted to embrace all exposures in the scene, or nearly. It is relative " ... SO...

...the phrase RTFM springs to mind... :oops:

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 am

Can't reproduce it either...
can you upload your sample scene here so I can test it on my Mac (C4D R13, latest Indigo versions) here?
Cheers, David

·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

StuDIO

Post by StuDIO » Fri May 04, 2012 2:03 am

Hi - I'm addressing both at once here (my lighting issue and the unused mat). So here is my test scene (a knocked down version of the original (see attachment image) - I have tried to go down the camera tone mapping route and some odd stuff is happening in particular to the carpet (has gone black when the wall is normal) - I thought I had it - but it's slipped away again. Any sage advice VERY greatly appreciated at this point. I'm looking to light like original but with more contrast (ideally with a camera tone map applied (Porta 400 for eg), and have the ability to adjust the light layers without odd counter-effects. I have left on some stray mats so you can see what I was on about with the remove unused materials - however the plot thickens on that one - with single mats it does as you all say => go on the single press of the button >however< this particular brushed stainless steel (from the mat library) does not.
many thanks in advance
Stu
Attachments
studio-testscene-rheinhard.jpg
This is the main scene rendered with Rheinhard tone mapping
studio-testscene.zip
This is the cut down version of the original C4D file regarding the lighting & I have left in the extra mats so you can see the remove unused thing.
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 203 times

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri May 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Aaaaalright!

So let's start:
The light normalization of the spotlight lights is far too low.
Values around 5 million deliver your desired result; in order to avoid fireflies I would recommend to set them ten times higher, let it render for a while and then push them down manually in the light layer tab.

The "odd effect" which you describes lies in the very nature of Reinhard tonemapping... it really auto-corrects all light all the time.
But you said you had problems with a carpet material and lighting while using camera tonmapping? In your breakdown-scene, I can't find it... what do you exactly mean?

About the "Remove unused materials" issue:
Absolutely confirmed!
Identical, blend-linked materials aren't being regarded by this funktion.
PLUS: C4D crashes when executing "delete double materials".
Fused, maybe you would like to have a the crash report? But you can replicate this crash in the scenefile above, too.
Attachments
BugReport.zip
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Cheers, David

·

10 posts • Page 1 of 1