Materials Render Wonky

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
JeffBDVS

Materials Render Wonky

Post by JeffBDVS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

I've imported a textured object into C4D. When I render with the Standard Renderer, I get this image:
C4D_Standard.jpg
When I render with Indigo Renderer, I get this image:
C4D_Indigo.jpg
The wonky render occurs whether or not I convert the materials. If I choose to convert, either inside of C4D or via the Indigo Exporter on export to an .igs project file, the wonky render appears both in C4D and in the Indigo stand-alone UI.

I get the same results whether I import the object in its native format via InterPoser Pro, or if I create an OBJ and import via Riptide Pro.

I get the same result no matter what Render Mode I set. Interestingly, I get what seems to be an accurate render if I enable GPU acceleration. But if I switch back to software rendering, the wonky render returns.

In the Indigo stand-alone UI, the OpenGL preview is accurate. It's only the Indigo render that has problems.

There is a single Infinite Light in the scene, and it is set as the Sun in the Indigo Renderer Settings.

Jeff

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Materials Render Wonky

Post by fused » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 am

Hi,

there is an issue with overlapping selections. This looks similar.
Are you/the objects using selections?

Would it be possible to get the scene file(.c4d, including textures)?

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Here's a link to a zip file with the C4D project, the OBJ and MTL files, and the texture maps:

http://bellunevideo.com/client1/WonkyC4D.zip

I had to look up what "selections" were. I'm still not sure I understand completely, but both import methods bring the model into C4D with a lot of polygon selection tags. Is that what you meant by the model using selections?

Thanks,
Jeff

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 pm

JeffBDVS wrote:Here's a link to a zip file with the C4D project, the OBJ and MTL files, and the texture maps:

http://bellunevideo.com/client1/WonkyC4D.zip

I had to look up what "selections" were. I'm still not sure I understand completely, but both import methods bring the model into C4D with a lot of polygon selection tags. Is that what you meant by the model using selections?

Thanks,
Jeff
Yes, thats what I mean. Thank you for the scene. I will look into it.

It looks like a possible workaround in this case would be to delete the unused selection tags (the ones that are not used by any materials on the object).

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks, Yves.

I'll try the tag deletion, although it looks like it may be hard (for me) to figure out which ones are in use and which ones aren't.

I'll post back with results and/or questions.

Jeff

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Near as I can tell, every selection tag is referenced by its matching material. Every material that references a selection tag is used on the object. There aren't any unused tags to delete.

I even tried deleting unused and duplicate materials, but the results were the same.

Jeff

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 pm

The last selection on the object is a selection of all polygons. That one is causing the problem. For now you can fix it by deleting that last selection tag.

Working on the issue now.

Edit: Is it possible to get a scene with relative texture paths (they all point to your E drive)? I don't have riptide (had the demo but it expired). (File -> Save Project)

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 am

Here's a project with relative paths:

http://bellunevideo.com/client1/ConservRelative.zip

Each of the model's groups has a group tag and then the last selection tag selects the group. I tried deleting the selection tags, but then Indigo apparently couldn't see the groups and they rendered black. It was if, for each tag, I clicked "Hide Polygons", and then tried to render with the polygons hidden.

So then I deleted the group tags as well, with the same results: the polygons without an alpha channel, i.e., everything but the windows, rendered black. The windows rendered as some sort of creamy white opaque color.

Undoing all that restored the original wonky render.

EDIT: I thought the black render might have something to do with Normals pointing the wrong way, but when I imported the object's Normals along with the object, it just made things worse. Almost all of the model rendered black. I didn't spend any time trying to find a pattern in what parts were visible and what ones weren't, because the visible ones rendered as a solid yellow color.

Jeff

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 am

You end up with black materials because the materials are being converted to specular materials (they all have the transparency channel enabled).

Apart from that deleting that last selection tag works (and works around the issue) as expected.

I don't know what the group tag is (part of some plugin you are using, maybe Riptide?) but Indigo for C4D isnt handling it.
ConservRelative.jpg

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 am

Anyway, fixed for the next version :)

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 am

Anyway, fixed for the next version :)
Thanks, Yves! I was just going to ask if this selection tag stuff was fixable in Indigo, or if it should be a user's responsibility to clean up the tags. You sure answered that question!

As for the transparency in the materials, I don't know why all of them had that channel active when imported. I had to add an Alpha channel and disable Transparency for all of the windows to render accurately with the Standard Renderer, but I ignored the Transparency channel on all of the diffuse materials.

For the windows using Indigo, I converted the glass materials to Indigo Materials. The Blend channel seems to be key, but it converted with a Blend Multiplier of -1. That got me a sort of hazy brown transparency, which I fixed by changing the Multiplier to 0 (or higher). Short of extruding those glass surfaces in C4D, or in another modeling app before importing them into C4D, is that the proper way to make single-surface windows transparent when Indigo renders them?

Thanks again for taking the time to work with me on this,
Jeff

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 am

fused wrote:As for the transparency in the materials, I don't know why all of them had that channel active when imported. I had to add an Alpha channel and disable Transparency for all of the windows to render accurately with the Standard Renderer, but I ignored the Transparency channel on all of the diffuse materials.
Bad C4D Materials get transformed in Bad Indigo Materials :P
JeffBDVS wrote:is that the proper way to make single-surface windows transparent when Indigo renders them?
Go the extra mile and exchange that single mesh areas for glass with solid boxed meshes with a volume!
Sometimes you need to feed a physical based renderer with physical based stuff to work probably...
For that scene you have here with texture based details like windows etc. its quite painful :(
polygonmanufaktur.de

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:15 am

Fixed the selection issue in Indigo for Cinema 4D 3.2.11:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=11544

JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:03 am

Most excellent. Most excellent, indeed! Thank you. :)

Jeff

14 posts • Page 1 of 1