Indigo 1.1.10

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 am

as a user coming to Indigo from a Arch Viz. background, not a math background or anything like that, what attracted me to this program was the simplicity and"real-world" 1 to 1 way of setting up a render.
ie, 30watt light is a 30 watt light (it matters nothing to me what happens in the background) a big tip of the hat to Whaat for creating Skindigo in this way.

What worries me is if it gets too complicated on the Indigo side, Whaat (and other exporter writers) might not want to keep up with it. I know that this is Onosendai's prerogative, but from a simple users perspective,
KISS rules.

if I have to start doing math calcs, like in the above discussion about how to create an emitter (light to me) than I'll have to move to another renderer,
and I really don't want to do that :)

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 am

there are a number of us here with programing experiance, if one of the exporters was falling behind and there was enough people one of us would probably help out.

also, for more complex stuff you can either save it to the material db so everyone can use it again.

some things just cant be made simple on the other hand.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

F.ip2

Post by F.ip2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:10 am

sadly there is non - it just crashes ...

other wise I would have posted it.

I did not get any UV issue messages.
--
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator

Assistant Professor Industrial Design
Kendall College of Art and Design
of Ferris State University

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 am

i tried out Claas' shader and Indigo also crashed for me. the last thing output to the log window was "Finished building tree." and that was it, crash.

F.ip2

Post by F.ip2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 am

cpfresh

are you using Blender? I am not sure if it might be related to UV.
While no UV error came - BigDad mentioned it as a possibility.
However in my scene the things I perfectly unwrapped.

Not even sure if this procedural shader actually needs any UV unwrapping.

I am curious if it could be related to the script exporter.

Claas
--

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:18 am

hiya Claas,

no i do not use blender, i use sketchup. the model i placed it in didnt have any UVs set at all, i merely applied it to a cube with a material of solid color. i can try it again using UVs.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
Whaat wrote:
what about IES in emitting materials??? can it be done yet?
Yes, like this:

Code: Select all

<model>
		<rotation>
			<matrix>
				1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
			</matrix>
		</rotation>
		<pos>0 0 0.1</pos>
		<scale>0.1</scale>
		<mesh_name>mesh1</mesh_name>

<ies_profile>
			<material_name>mat1</material_name>
			<path>C:/programming/models/IES/40_planning_luminaire_cn/ies/_family/en/erco_ies_en_CL_downlights_409/ERCO_85263000_2xTC-DEL_26W.ies</path>
		</ies_profile>
	</model>
However this won't work until the next release.
hey! how about dem asymmetrical IES profiles? linear ones?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 pm

StompinTom wrote:
hey! how about dem asymmetrical IES profiles? linear ones?
Sorry, not implemented yet.

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Yay! :D

F.ip2

Post by F.ip2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 am

well when you had the same problem from sketchup

I think that the problem is than more related to Indigo.
In particular when it crashed without a warning text.

I would say it closely rules out the exporter or mesh.

Claas
--

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 am

@Claas, before this problem appears in every forum,
I can tell you Indigo crashes if there is a shader referring to co-ords (in particular the uv's it needs) and there are none.

Ono needs an exception error for this.

Open your .igs in Notepad and check to see if the uv's are in there.
If they are not that is very likely the problem.

I suggest you make a simple scene using the bump shader as I provided it, cos I know it works, and export it.
Hand edit the .igs each time to change the values for your very important quality experiments.
Open the Indigo UI manually by double clicking on the .exe and select and run your .igs

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Class,
as Big Fan says, I think the problem is that the shader is trying to use uv coordinates that aren't set for the mesh / sphere. I'm catching the error now and printing out an error message instead of crashing, which will be in next version.

Regarding setting the power (Wattage) of an emitter directly, there's what I consider a compelling reason why I haven't added Power as one of the supported measures.

To calculate the total power emitted by an emitter, you need to know the spectral power distribution at all wavelengths, not just those wavelengths inside the visible part of the spectrum. This information is not generally known or required when defining an emission spectrum in Indigo.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 pm

ono I am not really convinced by your 'compelling reason' :wink:

you already have flux hanging out of emission which you have written is actually watts x luminous efficiency

I could do a wee wangle there in the UI and present flux as efficacy scale input and multiple the 2 parameters together under the skin to give flux... :roll:

I have thought about this useablility and what I would like to do is to keep my UI the way I have it for emission being an extra dimension for a material (ie simple glow - no IES access there), but also keep 'meshlights' (or simply 'lights') in the mats menu (actually as a mat under the skin but with reversed emphasis.)

ie meshlights will appear not unlike present with IES but there will be a simple menu at the bottom to choose a generic material type for reflectivity of the light source/mesh

so in other words they will actually reference the same things but in a different order/way.
seems to me there are many cases where the light source doesnt need to be thought of as a material or with all the trappings and options of one.
I guess its just a matter of logical/intuitive presentation to the user

if you convert the present meshlights stuff internally is it not possible to keep the parameters for that hanging out of the code for us to retain 'peak' , 'blackbody' etc? 8)

of course other script writers may have other ideas and seeing as how I am on the outside of things here ordinarily my opinion is not so important... still I'll persist with this enquiry in the meantime :)

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:55 am

@Claas, OK so I tried your shader again (using UVs this time) and there was no error with Indigo ... although there was no apparent effect on my material either ...?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 am

Couldn't the vec2 range be far overscaled ? If that was the case I think that could explain why the effect is not visible, because it would be locally (in a 0;1 range) even. I'm asking because I don't know what range your uvs use, nor do I understand what is going on (reading is not understanding).

78 posts